Trouble in Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble in Store

The other night, nothing of interest on the television, I put on a DVD. Trouble in Store, starring Norman Wisdom, Lana Morris and Margaret Rutherford. Margaret did not have much of a role in this film. The department store, used in the film, was it Harrods ?
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 7th August 2019, 03:13 AM.

Not Harrods, Swenson. It was Burridges Department Store.

......unsure about this now. I'm thinking the name 'Burridges' could be fictional. Perhaps someone else could verify.
    Last edited by Shirley Brahms; 3rd August 2019, 12:58 PM. Reason: second thoughts

Comment

Could it be Selfridges?

Comment

Reelstreets suggests that the actual entrance is possibly a set, and discounts Gammages and Selfridges.

Comment

Trouble in Store is the title I recall. Meaning the shop but also trouble awaiting. Good film.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican View Post
            Trouble in Store is the title I recall. Meaning the shop but also trouble awaiting. Good film.
            Correct. The original poster's thread title negates the double meaning

Comment

Perhaps a moderator could change the thread title to Trouble in Store, please?

Comment

Done.

Nick

Comment

• Shirley Brahms
                  Shirley Brahms commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Nick.

• garth
                  garth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Thanks Nick." You surprise me, Miss Brahms. I hope you didn't lose your comma finger as a result of your accident! Wonderful to see you back, though. :-)

• Shirley Brahms
                  Shirley Brahms commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OOPS! :redface:

I always thought it was the former Barkers Department Store in London's Kensington High Street.........

Comment

• narabdela
                  narabdela commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That was my first thought when I saw the picture in post #2 Mark.

It was probably one of the most comical scenes ever put on film. Hundred of shoppers waiting in line for the moment the doors were unlocked for the big sale. Margaret Rutherford, putting on the vacation labels on a suitcase, and the scene of a electric train running up the sleeve of her coat. Friends of mine who never saw this film borrowed my copy and commented on those scenes.

Comment

To me the opening shots looked like it was Selfridges, and the window dressing scene even more so. Either that or a brilliant set.

Comment

The scene could have been shot in a department store. The film. Black and white photography, no doubt they had to keep their costs down.

Comment

good post thnaks

Comment

From looking at the first establishing shot of it in the film, the tops floors are clearly a glass-shot, but the ground floor, pavements and buses - pedestrians too, are real.

Notice the awnings and the columns with horizontal bars - It looks like Regent St to me. close to Piccadilly Circus I would think - Mulberry's or maybe even the block next to Hamleys?

When Mr. Grimsdale's car pulls up it is a set, and it doesn't even match the previous location/glass shot - different windows and doors and no awnings.

Sorry I can't back this up with a photo, but watch the first minutes of the film and you'll see.

The reverse shots used as rear projection also seem to show lower Regent Street.

Anyway I haven't found the place yet, but here's a start:

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/trouble-in-store/

Comment

Originally posted by Rider67 View Post
                          From looking at the first establishing shot of it in the film, the tops floors are clearly a glass-shot, but the ground floor, pavements and buses - pedestrians too, are real.

Notice the awnings and the columns with horizontal bars - It looks like Regent St to me. close to Piccadilly Circus I would think - Mulberry's or maybe even the block next to Hamleys?

When Mr. Grimsdale's car pulls up it is a set, and it doesn't even match the previous location/glass shot - different windows and doors and no awnings.

Sorry I can't back this up with a photo, but watch the first minutes of the film and you'll see.

The reverse shots used as rear projection also seem to show lower Regent Street.

Anyway I haven't found the place yet, but here's a start:

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/trouble-in-store/

No Mr Grimsdale in this one, are you getting mixed up with Augustus Freeman played by Jerry Desmonde ?

Comment

Working...
                          X