Class-based British films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class-based British films

Traditionally in the 1930s and 1940 and perhaps even 1950s, working class folk in British films were portrayed as comical, or not very bright, or both. Occasionally they might be portrayed as dangerous lefties. That began to change in the 1960s, with films such as A Taste of Honey and Room at the Top, where working class people were portrayed as complex characters with lives worthy of consideration too. Which films fit into this category? Which films of this ilk have members especially enjoyed?

One of my favourites is Kes. Definitely working-class-based, with some grim moments and funny ones too. Who can forget Brian Glover's comic turn as the sadistic games teacher who was determined to win at football with his schoolkids, even if it meant cheating and pushing them out of the way? Later he turned up as the bluff Yorkshireman in the unwelcoming pub on the moors, in An American Werewolf in London.

Then there was the famous scene where the schoolboys get the cane on their hands. The young actors were not told that this would be done for real! Nasty. And the grim ending, which shocked me as an animal lover, in which the young schoolboy retrieves his beloved kestrel from the bin after his adult older brother has killed it in an act of revenge.

Comment

Anything with Michael Caine...

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
        Anything with Michael Caine...
        He's always a good watch. I love Alfie. There's one much later film (the name eludes me) where he plays a bit part as a criminal, and he is absolutely chilling. He said there were some villains in his family and he modelled it on them!

Comment

My favourite would have to be Saturday Night And Sunday Morning from 1960. Finney's finest hour as Arthur Seaton, surely the angriest of the "angry young men". Personified the frustration of being straitjacketed by the class system.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonch View Post
            My favourite would have to be Saturday Night And Sunday Morning from 1960. Finney's finest hour as Arthur Seaton, surely the angriest of the "angry young men". Personified the frustration of being straitjacketed by the class system.
            You've made me want to watch it now. So many years since I saw it, that I can't remember it at all. I've found it on a foreign site. Mr Finney is always well worth watching.

Comment

In Which We Serve would certainly qualify what with the class divisions between upper and lower decks

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                In Which We Serve would certainly qualify what with the class divisions between upper and lower decks
                That's another one I've never seen. It goes on my list. World War 2 is an interesting time for British film, as all sections of society are shown doing their bit. As a result, the working classes are taken more seriously. Think of a gritty Thora Hird, doing her duty by shooting "Jerries" in Went the Day Well?

One of Our Aircraft Is Missing is another example of British war time propaganda, in which the different classes of Brits, this time all in the military, on a secret mission in the Netherlands, are all shown getting on perfectly with one another and are all treated respectfully by the script.

Comment

Working...
                X