No announcement yet.

Watched Last Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World's End (2013). A pub crawl with a difference is really Shaun of the Dead crossed with Invasion (or here, Merger) of the Body Snatchers with a bit of Invaders from Mars chucked in. With Simon Pegg and cronies Nick Frost, Martin Freeman et al, the film is a good example of the law of diminishing returns as Simon and his old mates try to relive a boyhood experience in their home town, but come across alien interlopers. Lots of (blue) gore and swearing doesn't really result in a memorable filmic experience, but again, if you're in the mood with a few drinks down you late at night, it is a not unreasonable way to spend 109 minutes.

Comment

• Bonekicker
      Bonekicker commented
      Editing a comment
      Strangely enough, we watched it on Sunday on Prime, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I certainly found the 'lets get the gang back together and drink, although its incredibly awkward' part struck a chord, and the alien stuff was fun.

Not quite as good as the first two, but a lot of nice touches.

• Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
    The World's End (2013). A pub crawl with a difference is really Shaun of the Dead crossed with Invasion (or here, Merger) of the Body Snatchers with a bit of Invaders from Mars chucked in. With Simon Pegg and cronies Nick Frost, Martin Freeman et al, the film is a good example of the law of diminishing returns as Simon and his old mates try to relive a boyhood experience in their home town, but come across alien interlopers. Lots of (blue) gore and swearing doesn't really result in a memorable filmic experience, but again, if you're in the mood with a few drinks down you late at night, it is a not unreasonable way to spend 109 minutes.
    Definitely the least of the three, and I found Simon Pegg’s character irritating rather than funny, but still much better than most cinematic ‘lads’ comedies, and a great cast.

Comment

• Bonekicker
      Bonekicker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes - although I think his manic annoyingness was meant to be a key part of the character - and his mental illness/inability to let go of the past.

As you say, a great cast - I noticed Alice Lowe early on, who was in the second, as well as Sherlock, her own films, and of course Horrible Histories! The movie of which has Nick Frost in it....

• Paxton Milk
      Paxton Milk commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed, and you were supposed to feel empathy for him by the end, I was just annoyed all the way through.

• Love on the Dole (1941). The trials and tribulations of residents of the poorest area of a town in Northern England trying to cope with the great depression. Based on a novel by Walter Greenwood, the film was praised in its day for the social realism and the semi-documentary approach of director John Baxter (+ Lance Comfort), and although there is certainly soap opera elements to it, there are also the (then) daring issues of sex and pregnancy before marriage and living as a "kept woman".
    Scottish Deborah Kerr and Welsh Clifford Evans star and manage to keep up their assumed accents as do several other members of the cast, although some do vary at times and good old Maire O'Neill, playing one of the local hags, doesn't even bother. There are some brave matte shots of Geoffrey Hibbert and Joyce Howard "in" Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but worthy of note are the fine indoor for outdoor sets by veteran Holmes Paul.

Comment

• Paul 2010

didnt work for me maybe a fanboy thing it lacked the Cornetto trilogys plain fun . Paul is the most irritating alien you could imagine .

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
        Love on the Dole (1941).
        That's got one of my favourite quotes in it from Sally Hardcastle (Deborah Kerr) and Mrs Hardcastle (Mary Merrall):

(In a stong northern accent)
        Mrs. Hardcastle: Eee Sal, you've changed. You're 'ard.
        Sally: Aye, I'm 'ard. And by gosh an' I need t'be.

Steve

Comment

• Man in the Middle (1963). Wartime India: when US Lieutenant Winston cold-bloodedly shoots dead British Sergeant Quinn for no apparent reason, celebrated Lt. Colonel Adams is drafted in to defend him at the court martial. It soon becomes apparent that to try to ease tensions between the American and British troops in India, the US Army wants a bit of a show trial and Winston promptly hanged. But there is evidence that Winston is insane and that evidence is being kept under wraps. Can Adams save Winston from the noose?
          A slow burn of a screenplay from Waterhouse and Hall from a novel by (ironically) Howard Fast is kept intriguing by its twists and turns and decent acting from Robert Mitchum as Adams, Barry Sullivan as the general who wants a fixed trial and especially Trevor Howard as the laid-back British officer who just happens to be a noted psychiatrist. Assorted ranks are filled and played by Alexander Knox, Sam Wanamaker, Gary Cockrell, Michael Goodliffe, Errol John, Paul Maxwell and Russell Napier and Keenan Wynn is Winston and Bill Mitchell (briefly) Quinn. The romance between Mitchum and nurse France Nuyen seems contrived, however, John Barry's background score is for once too loud and out of place and the direction by Guy Hamilton unremarkable.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlecLeamas View Post
            Paul 2010

didnt work for me maybe a fanboy thing it lacked the Cornetto trilogys plain fun . Paul is the most irritating alien you could imagine .

Seth Rogan, I’m afraid, an er,...acquired taste.

Comment

• We recently watched Lonesome Dove (1989) - 4 part mini series with Tommy Lee Jones ,Robert Duval,Danny Glover and Robert Urich - this series won many awards.
              I do not always like Robert Duval films but he really seemed to enjoy making this series and his character came over extremely well.Very nicely shot and a slightly different 'take' on Westerns.
              It was the first time I had seen it since it was originally broadcast.

Comment

• Originally posted by BVS View Post
                We recently watched Lonesome Dove (1989) - 4 part mini series with Tommy Lee Jones ,Robert Duval,Danny Glover and Robert Urich - this series won many awards.
                I do not always like Robert Duval films but he really seemed to enjoy making this series and his character came over extremely well.Very nicely shot and a slightly different 'take' on Westerns.
                It was the first time I had seen it since it was originally broadcast.
                I haven’t seen this since it was broadcast as well, I have fond memories of a slightly old-fashioned, sentimental but thoroughly entertaining show. I am surprised it was only four episodes, I though it much more.

Also remember the sequel, without Duvall but featuring Oliver Reed, and it was nowhere near as good

Comment

• Phase IV (1973)

An Arizona research establishment manned only by Nigel Davenport and Michael Murphy, comes under attack from a race of super ants..
                  Intelligent Sci-Fi, capably directed by Saul Bass, definitely not for those who dislike creepy crawleys .
                  Lynne Frederick wanders in from the desert, but isn't given much to do except pout a lot. Alan Gifford and Helen Horton are the muttering locals.
                  The electronic score grates a bit though, sounding like the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, playing in a lavatory..

Comment

• Lee
                    Lee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I too watched this recently on Amazon. I discovered that the original unused ending, cut by the studio is on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLpsWaUDNk

I wasn't so keen on the actual film but I'm glad I could see this cut sequence.

• Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Also remember the sequel, without Duvall but featuring Oliver Reed, and it was nowhere near as good
                  I agree - the 'sequels' are nowhere near as good,I generally do not watch anything with Oliver Reed in as I always disliked him intensely LOL

The newer Lonesome Dove church 2014 with Tom Beringer is fairly boring and tedious btw

Comment

• Originally posted by BVS View Post

I agree - the 'sequels' are nowhere near as good,I generally do not watch anything with Oliver Reed in as I always disliked him intensely LOL

The newer Lonesome Dove church 2014 with Tom Beringer is fairly boring and tedious btw
                    As he got older, Reed became less intense but the films became far less interesting. I wasn’t aware there was a third. Tom Berenger is a ‘straight to video’ actor, so it doesn’t surprise me it’s not much cope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Seth Rogan, I’m afraid, an er,...acquired taste.
                      That is because you (and quite a few others on here ) come from an entirely different generation and therefore comedy actors/films will not fall into your particular brand of humour etc etc

Comment

• Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

That is because you (and quite a few others on here ) come from an entirely different generation and therefore comedy actors/films will not fall into your particular brand of humour etc etc
                        On the contrary, I like Rogen. Pineapple Express exceptionally funny and I thought Long Shot is one of the best films of the summer. As the infamous Sony leak revealed, he is very popular in the US and significantly less so internationally. He doesn’t have a great range, all his characters are essentially the same and, unfortunately, his brand of humour doesn’t travel overseas.
                        Last edited by Paxton Milk; 6 August 2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metro1962 View Post

is that a sweeping generalisation or a hasty generalisation?

Comment

Working...
                          X