Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve just been watching:
    San Demetrio, London (1943) on TPTV
    The crew of merchant seamen are shepherding a tanker full of oil from Galveston, TX back to the Clyde. But their convoy is attacked by the Admiral Scheer. The armed merchantman Jervis Bay sacrifices herself in an attempt to give the convoy time to escape. But the Scheer still attacks the San Demetrio whose skipper tells them to abandon ship.

After a a couple of days in the lifeboat the crew spot a ship! As they make their way up to it they realise it is the old San Demetrio, on fire and burning well, but still afloat. So the crew re-board her, tackle the fires & manage to bring her home.
    Based quite accurately on a true story. A great film. Really stirring stuff.

Steve

Comment

• Robbery (1967)
      Stanley Baker et al
      Funnily enough I had never seen this film before - loosely based on The Great Train Robbery and very nicely filmed too - the robbery scenes were shot at Theddingworth,Leics. (between HusBos and Mkt Harborough) on a recently closed double tracked Line,a very good stand in for the actual robbery location in Buckinghamshire.
      The Film Robbers hideout was underneath the Control Tower at a disused airfield (actually RAF Graveley near Huntingdon).
      The film train is hauled by Class 40 diesel (D318).
      There is also some lovely footage of the old Airfield at Graveley.
      Some lovely 'Classic' cars and vans are included of course

Comment

• Midas Run (1969)
        Fred Astaire,Richard Crenna,Anne Heywood + some familiar British faces.
        A fairly typical 1960's caper film.
        The plot is of course the usual hokum - but some lovely locations inc Venice and rural Italy and also some really high quality footage of an Invicta Airlines DC4 (G-ASEN) in flight and landing at a smallish airfield

Comment

• The Squeeze 1977 .
          started watching this begin of Jan . . Stopped started stopped started finally got to the end last night .
          Grim film dies not travel well , a snaphot of the times .
          Watched cheifly for Stephen Boyd's farewell role .
          The director just passed of course .
          US actor Stacey Keach was cast in the lead .
          Get passed that parculiarity then the story unfolds but all the time I was thinking " missed opportunity " to make an intersting episode of the Sweeney .
          Able support from D. Hemmings , E. Fox . and F Star @#$! Carol White .

Comment

• Originally posted by AlecLeamas View Post
            The Squeeze 1977 .
            started watching this begin of Jan . . Stopped started stopped started finally got to the end last night .
            Grim film dies not travel well , a snaphot of the times .
            Watched cheifly for Stephen Boyd's farewell role .
            The director just passed of course .
            US actor Stacey Keach was cast in the lead .
            Get passed that parculiarity then the story unfolds but all the time I was thinking " missed opportunity " to make an intersting episode of the Sweeney .
            Able support from D. Hemmings , E. Fox . and F Star @#$! Carol White .
            I know what you mean about it being like a "Sweeney" episode.
            It's a murky film that is hard to enjoy but I did find Stephen Boyd to be the best thing in it as the nasty Vic Smith ( a rare role where he uses his native Belfast accent).
            Boyd looks very thin but also very ill & he sadly died not long after!

Comment

• THE SCARLET AND THE BLACK (1983). A TV movie co-produced with RAI in Italy and set in Rome and the Vatican City in the latter part of the Second World War. Gregory Peck stars as Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty in the true story of "The Scarlet Pimpernel of the Vatican" as he is the prime mover in saving countless released prisoners of war from being re-captured by the Germans. On his trail and after his blood is Colonel Kappler played by Christopher Plummer and offering Hugh muted support is John Gielgud in the role of Pope Pius XII. There's a goodly number of British and Italian faces in the other roles, including Walter Gotell, Raf Vallone, Kenneth Colley, Julian Holloway, Vernon Dobtcheff, Marne Maitland and even old Edmund Purdom. Peck has to adopt a dodgy Irish accent as Hugh while T. P. McKenna has to try and supress his as Himmler. Though not starry enough, McKenna would probably have been a better choice as Hugh.
              It's a bit choppy, but I think I saw an edited version, which might explain scenes that start then don't go anywhere, and the series of disguises Hugh adopts is a bit Inspector Clouseau. Jerry London's direction is uninspired, but at least there's good use of Rome locations.

Comment

• The Haunting Of Margam Castle (2020)

A group of New York Psychic Investigators spend the night in a haunted Welsh Castle.
                With very predictable results. The Parapsychologists themselves, are lead by a sceptical Amy Quick and are a pretty unappealing lot of brats.
                'What no WIFI' mumbles one of them, to Castle Curator Derren Nesbitt.
                Jane Merrow turns up as the local Medium, giving her best Rosalie Crutchley impersonation. We even get Vernon Dobtcheff as the caretaker, who wouldn't dream of staying any longer than necessary.
                The script though and some amateurish actor from the young Americans, make it sink like a stone. With the cast looking at each other, as if to say who has the next line?
                The tiny budget and short running time (81 minutes) are all too obvious.
                Pretty horrible, for all the wrong reasons.

Comment

Working...
                X