X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seaton
    replied
    Originally posted by cassidy View Post
    Seaton, try to get hold of David Quinlan's book The Studio Years, British Films 1929-1959.

Right at the back of the book there is a list of all British short films made between 1950 to 1959. I would think that this should prove quite helpful to you.
    Cheers! That's great. I'll look out for it.

And Tonch; there is no cure as such. But if I find an anti-inflammatory ointment that works, I'll let you know.

Leave a comment:

• cassidy
    replied
    Seaton, try to get hold of David Quinlan's book The Studio Years, British Films 1929-1959.

Right at the back of the book there is a list of all British short films made between 1950 to 1959. I would think that this should prove quite helpful to you.
    Last edited by cassidy; 17th February 2020, 06:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tonch
    replied
    Originally posted by Seaton View Post
    Alan Partridge's much-heralded return didn't do much for me, but I can't say that too much as it would make me agree with Piers Morgan which I'd rather not do too often.
    It's happening a bit too frequently, isn't it?
    Worryingly, over the past year or so I'm finding myself concurring with him on a range of subjects all too often, and I can't stand the *@*#*%!
    Thank God I'm not entirely alone... if you find the cure before I do, please tip me the wink.

Leave a comment:

• Seaton
    replied
    All of those are good calls. People Just do Nothing is sweet and funny now - it started a bit rough for my comedy tastes, but there you go. The Detectorists is simply the best thing done in TV or any other art form in the last twenty years (no, it's not Fleabag, whatever people tell you. Fleabag is not very good. Fact). Alan Partridge's much-heralded return didn't do much for me, but I can't say that too much as it would make me agree with Piers Morgan which I'd rather not do too often. Car Share is great - Peter Kay is easy to attack, it seems, but he's funny, which is all I ask of him.
    As you say, comedy is a bit Marmite (I was impressed by your correct capitalization of the name), but I'll definitely think about an episode of the Detectorists.
    I'll let you know how the Monty Python episode went tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• philly
    replied
    Inside Number 9 is excellent in my opinion, very dark. Other recent TV comedy shows worth a look, some may be a bit Marmite, Peter Kay's Car Share, After Life, People Just do Nothing, This Country, The Detectorists, Brian Pern Rock Star, This Time with Alan Partridge, anything with Diane Morgan particularly as Philomena Cunk.

Leave a comment:

• Seaton
    replied
    Originally posted by cassidy View Post
    How about The Running, Jumping, Standing Still film with The Goons
    Excellent idea. And a Beatles connection.

Leave a comment:

• cassidy
    replied
    How about The Running, Jumping, Standing Still film with The Goons

Leave a comment:

• Seaton
    started a topic Help with Short films

Help with Short films

Hello, I need your help again.

The Film Club I sort of run has had a baby called "The Short Film Club". In order to fit in with the name, I have decided to show short films ... OK, I have access to superb documentaries and fiction from BAFTA nominees and some BFI docs, but I'm also expanding into TV: I'm going to show Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, possibly Hancock and the Office, not in the hope that the viewers laugh, but in order to discuss their influence etc and why they are important ...

My cry for help, then, is for suggestions of what makes a good 15 - 40 minute film: does anyone have any suggestions of silent shorts from the 20s (Chaplin's first films were American - nothing British ... although his last two were British, but full-length). Same with Laurel and Hardy. Does anyone know any source for good horror under 30 minutes? How about TV series? Is Inside Number 9 any good? If I'm left to my own devices I'll show recent BAFTAS mixed with The Good Life and Reggie Perrin and basically a stroll through my childhood: while that's no bad thing, there must be masses of short stuff out there (docs, narrative, episodes) that I haven't thought of.

On a practical level, please point me in the direction of a physical DVD with English subtitles.

If this is unclear, let me know. Ask away.

Cheers in advance.
Working...
X