The Invisible Man (1933)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Invisible Man (1933)

I remember my dad telling me about this film when I was around 8. That made me want to see it, but it was years until I did.

Invisibility was one of those things that fascinated a boy such as me. Aged 12, I went to the fair. and there was a tent advertising an invisible man - not the film, of course. I paid my shilling and went in. There was nobody there - I'd been swizzed. No, I'm joking. They had some excellent optical illusion that made me think the man demonstrating it had gone invisible.

Actually, I didn't get round to watching the film until about a month ago.

Here is Claude Rains, star of the film, swathed in bandages to make himself visible. He is an evil fellow, a mad scientist, who causes mayhem while invisible. I didn't much care for the plot, which was really just 'hunt the villain', but the special effects will have entertained the punters, back in the day.

Comment

The actress Gloria Stuart plays the invisible man's fiancée. She was a glamorous lady, but rather hammy in the film, in the style of the day. Amazingly, she also appeared in the 1997 film 'Titanic'. She died in 2010 aged 100.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_Stuart

Comment

The film also stars Una O'Connor as the barmaid. She is comically frightened by the invisible man, who takes a room in the pub (inn). I recognised her immediately from 'The Bride of Frankenstein', in which she plays a comically frightened woman who bumps into Frankenstein's monster. Instead of attacking her, the monster just stares at her as if to say, "Yes?!" She screams and runs away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Una_O%27Connor_(actress)

Comment

I haven't seen the recent modern version of the film, nor have I read the original novel by H G Wells. He also wrote The Island of Doctor Moreau.

See: https://www.britmovie.co.uk/forum/ma...-doctor-moreau

Comment

Originally posted by garth View Post
            I remember my dad telling me about this film when I was around 8. That made me want to see it, but it was years until I did.
            Wanting to see The Invisible Man?

There's something wrong there somewhere

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Wanting to see The Invisible Man?

There's something wrong there somewhere

Steve
              Yes. Where was Mr Spock to tell me 'Illogical, Garth!'

Comment

Is that the version where he runs across snow and his invisible bare feet leave shoe prints ?

Comment

Originally posted by ps68060 View Post
                  Is that the version where he runs across snow and his invisible bare feet leave shoe prints ?
                  That's the one.

Comment

Gloria Stuart plays the invisible man's fiancée. You can see her in this clip. Many years later, she appeared in Titanic (1997).

Comment

Working...
                    X