Bradshaw on "Villain"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradshaw on "Villain"

Peter Bradshaw gives "Villain" a five-star review.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ian-la-frenais

This film has always been respected as a polished example of its genre on this, and the old, site for as long as I can remember. I have read that the American release was ruined by dubbing the whole cast, except Burton, into speaking in a Bronx accent. If true it beggars belief that a person could make such a decision. As I recall Burton took on this project, with the same producer, after "Where Eagles Dare" and on the same sort of financial deal. He must of have some faith in the film to enter into a percentage agreement. So he may have been a bit peeved.

Comment

I may have got this wrong, and it may be my memory playing tricks on me, but I thought that when this film first appeared in cinemas it was vilified by the press and there were calls for it to be removed from distribution. I went to see it on its release and thought it was very good and I still enjoyed it when I saw it on Talking Pictures recently.

PS--I probably have got it wrong and it probably is my memory playing tricks.

Comment

• agutterfan
        agutterfan commented
        Editing a comment
        One contemporary review: https://www.nytimes.com/1971/05/27/a...nderworld.html

• Toscana
        Toscana commented
        Editing a comment
        What a lazy review. And Pimp? McShane plays a Hustler not a pimp. Very different underworld type persona. A pimp sells sex a hustler sells anyone and everything including themselves. Get the feeling the reviewer had made up their mind about the production, especially Burton, before they went in to watch the film, if they ever did with both eyes open.

I’m looking forward to this being released as a download on Amazon. I have the dvd. Excellent film. I think Richard is really good in the role.

Comment

Have just downloaded this from Amazon Video. It has been released today. Great Stuff.

Comment

It's on TPTV this coming Friday, 03/04/2020 at 22:00.

Comment

On the set of "Villain" with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gal...in-in-pictures

Comment

Not a classic, but a good solid thriller typical of it's time, in the same vein as Get Carter and Sitting Target.
              I think the best scenes include the robbery punch up with the rugby players, Vic's threatening of the MP and Vic's splenetic final speech to the gawping residents at the films climax.

Comment

I love the scene at the start of the film when Burton rubs his face with Aqua di Selva cologne which was the cologne that I used to use at the time and indeed still do when I can get it.

Comment

Well I watched it. The IMDb summary says “a mother-obsessed homosexual modeled on real-life gangster Ronnie Kray”. It was a terrible portrayal. Burton’s “acting” just consisted of him hitting or striping people or being good to his mum. Or occasionally just looking mean & moody. I much preferred The Krays with the Kemp brothers.

I gave it it a very poor 4/10

Steve

Comment

I've recorded it, too, as I've never seen it.

Comment

• agutterfan
                      agutterfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hope you enjoy Fiona Lewis ... I mean enjoy the film.

A clear influence of the style of Euston films SWEENEY tv series.......

Comment

Working...
                    X