Bubble cars & three wheelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bubble cars & three wheelers

I just noticed Ian Carmichael driving a bubble car in Double Bunk (a LHD) and believe he drove one in I'm Alright Jack.

I don't remember the 60s but I gather they were fairly common.

Are there many more in films ?

I often see bubble cars in American Pickers on the History channel while they’re digging through barns & attics and rescuing old items. They were often made post-war by companies like Messerschmitt. They are often a fighter plane’s body without the wings.

Steve
    Last edited by Nick Dando; 12 May 2020, 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling of Messerschmitt

Comment

There were plenty of German and Italian bubble cars around in the fifties when I were a lad and dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

I can't recall them being regarded as unusual in any way.

Comment

My Dad had a Heinkel Kabine with four wheels, the rear pair very close together.
        Last edited by Nick Dando; 12 May 2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

The advantage of bubble cars like the Isetta (built by BMW!) and the Heinkel (of which my brother had one and also built in Britain by Trojan) was that, being three wheelers, you could drive them on a motor cycle licence. The same applied to the home brewed Bond Minicar and Reliant Regal. The Bond and Reliant had the single wheel at the front whereas the bubble cars had a single wheel at the back. The law allowed two wheels at the back to count as one if they were close together.

Comment

A Schoolfriend of mine had a Bond Minicar,it was hilarious watching him lift the bonnet and then put his foot in the engine bay and kickstart the engine,a Villiers engine but not sure if 197cc or 250cc of pulsating power.The Bond Minis could be turned over at extremely low speed,I certainly never fancied driving one.
            One of my RAF chums had a Messerschmitt 3 wheeler - now that was fun round the airfield but I would not want to have driven one on the road LOL

Comment

https://www.imcdb.org/v035555.html

A forum devoted to cars in films.

Comment

Dennis Price certainly drove a Bubble Car in the Naked truth.

Comment

I just watched Get Carter.

Outside Bryan Mosley's house I think there was an orange Bond Bug.

Comment

I just spotted another in the opening scenes of Raising the Wind, parked outside the college.

Comment

There’s a bubble car near the end of Blue Murder at St. Trinian’s leading the coach that brings the little horrors back to the school. But they have just been to Italy & touring Europe so maybe they half inched it

No close-ups so I can’t tell which make it is

Steve

Comment

A mate of mine owned various bubble cars & Reliants over the years. I recall one time his Isetta broke down & seized up at a set of traffic lights & he
                        had to get some blokes who were passing by to pick it up & move it into a side street. The steering wheel attached to the front door wouldn't turn!

Comment

Our friend went to his wedding in one recently. It was lovely to see. Both the wedding and the car. It was a friend of his car. I loved the bubble cars and remember them when I was a child in the 60s. There is a bubble car museum somewhere. I think it is in Lincolnshire.

Comment

Memories of the song "Beep Beep"

Comment

Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
                              Dennis Price certainly drove a Bubble Car in the Naked truth.
                              A BMW Isetta. They restored one on Wheeler Dealers.

Comment

Working...
                              X