The Shining at 40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shining at 40

An article to celebrate the Fortieth birthday of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...t-it-all-means

Excellent article, though I much prefer this trailer. Maybe because it's my favourite trailer of all time.

Comment

• Bonekicker
      Bonekicker commented
      Editing a comment
      Dear God, thats terrifying, and its just red water moving furniture and spooky music! Until almost the end, it reminds me of the phrase thats used about M R James - 'the corner of the retina'. A feeling of total unease at something that you might just catch a glimpse of. Which is of course very effective.

I must admit that The Shining is a film I have yet to see, like the Exorcist. My wife doesnt like horror movies at all, so its finding the chance to watch them.

There are several amusing spoof trailers for The Shining.
    My favourite is this romcom one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmkVWuP_sO0

Comment

Bonekicker commented
      Today, 11:49 AM

"I must admit that The Shining is a film I have yet to see, like the Exorcist. My wife doesnt like horror movies at all, so its finding the chance to watch them."

If you haven't seen this, then you're in for a treat. Don't forget there are 2 different cuts of this film, and both versions are available on Blu-ray. The UK/European release runs at a little under two hours, but the US cut is around 25 minutes longer.

The first time I saw this was on ITV one late night sometime in the early 90's (in my region it was still called Granada TV at the time), and they actually broadcast the extended version. However when Warners put out a Stanley Kubrick DVD boxset back in 2001, only the shorter cut was included in the collection.

Comment

Working...
      X