Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Film that used a skyhook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film that used a skyhook

Can anyone help, please? I remember watching a film on TV in the 1970s (probably a 60s movie) which featured a rescue using the skyhook system (like the one seen in Thunderball). The people being rescued were on a disintegrating isle (iceberg?). Does anyone remember this movie?
    Last edited by Antonylds; 8th April 2017, 01:52 PM.

Ice Station Zebra has a scene which uses something similar to the Fulton Surface to sky rescue system, except its the Russians who use it. It was the next development after the skyhook, I'm sure the U.S. use it to move a Vietnamese officer in The Green Berets as well. But I might be wrong I have been before.

Comment

Yes, it's the same technique. But in The Green Berets it's picked up by a large cargo plane which has the equipment to winch he the "passenger" on board.

in Ice Station Zebra it's picked up by a fighter aircraft which doesn't have the winch mechanism so it would have to trail the package behind it until it landed when it would drag the precious package along the ground

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Bruiser;n2846]Ice Station Zebra has a scene which uses something similar to the Fulton Surface to sky rescue system, except its the Russians who use it. It was the next development after the skyhook, I'm sure the U.S. use it to move a Vietnamese officer in The Green Berets as well. But I might be wrong I have been before.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but it's not Ice Station Zebra. Reading about the skyhook, it was used to pick up a couple of US agents off an abandoned USSR station that was on an iceberg (which was disintegrating). I wonder if the film I saw was inspired by that? It's possible it wasn't the skyhook, as such - but I do remember (vaguely) a plane having to make a couple of fly-bys to 'catch' the rope lines that had been staked out (as the whole place was shaking to bits).

Comment

Could it have been Bear Island? Haven't seen it for a while.

Comment

• Antonylds
            Antonylds commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the suggestion, but I recall watching the film in the mid-70s and Bear Island was released in 79. I wouldn't mind watching it again, now that you mention it! I've only seen it once (and even then I think I missed the beginning!).

A guess at Hell Below Zero with a side bet on When Eight Bells Toll.

Comment

[QUOTE=cassidy;n2924]A guess at Hell Below Zero with a side bet on When Eight Bells Toll.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, it's neither of those. I'll eventually track it down, but I'll probably have to trawl through the Guardian's archive. There's a few films I want to find that I saw in the 70s, so I'll make it a summer project. When I find it, I'll post the answer!

Comment

We need a new thread here - 'skyhooks on screen' !

Comment

[QUOTE=oddbodjunior;n2941]We need a new thread here - 'skyhooks on screen' ![/QUOTE]

You can always start one and see if anyone responds

Steve

Comment

I think every film starring Jean-Paul Belmondo had him being lifted up or down in one way or other by a helicopter although the actual device may vary.

This one here has a telephone box lifted skywards
                  [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070354/trivia?tab=cz&ref_=tt_trv_cc[/url]

but whether or not JPB was the occupant is unclear at this stage.

Other possibilities are Richard Roundtree in Shafts Big Score, and anything with Dean Martin as Matt Helm but the last of that series was the Wrecking Crew in 1969.
                  Suggest anything continental/secret agent.

Comment

Hello

It could be "Top of the World" (1955):

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048735/[/url]

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_World_(1955_film[/url])

In a way it is a documentary of the capabilities of the arctic US Air Force dressed up as a drama with lots of action shots of the B-17 and the amazing looking (AND operational) F-82 Twin Mustang. And to top it off an involved skyhook sequence...

Comment

Working...
                    X