Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Late 1950s to 1963

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 1950s to 1963

I am trying to find information about a film I saw in 1962, 63 or 64. I believe it was a mystery or detective type story with at least a reference to trains. All I can remember was a wonderful old character actor who kept saying, "I like trains I do."

Could it be one of the various versions of the old stage play "The Ghost Train", written by Arnold Ridley (yes, the same one who played Godfrey in Dad's Army). It used to be one of those plays performed regularly by repertory theatre companies back in the day.. this version done as a comedy with Arthur Askey is probably the most well-known.

The Ghost Train (1941) [URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033660/?ref_=kw_li_i[/URL]
    Arnold Ridley [URL]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0725965/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr4[/URL]
    Last edited by StoneAgeMan; 11th May 2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

" ... a wonderful old character ...." fits Moore Marriott as Jeremiah Harbottle in [I][B]Oh Mr Porter[/B][/I], but I don't recall that line.

Comment

"As the headless horseman is seen above,
        As he rides along with his wild hallo,
        [I]Lickety split, lickety split...[/I].

Comment

"If it be a natural thing, where do 'e come from, where do 'e go"
          vs
          "The mill wheel turns tho the night is still
          He haunts the station, he haunts the hills
          And the land that lies between"

Comment

[QUOTE=RobW;n4671]I am trying to find information about a film I saw in 1962, 63 or 64. I believe it was a mystery or detective type story with at least a reference to trains. All I can remember was a wonderful old character actor who kept saying, "I like trains I do."[/QUOTE]

It sounds like Time Bomb from 1953. I seem to remember a dotty old fellow who kept running away from home, muttering something like that.

Comment

Time Bomb from 1953...I agree...

Comment

The dotty old fellow was wonderful old character actor Herbert C. Walton.

Comment

Also known as Terror on a Train. Pops up now and again on Talking Pictures.

Comment

I have only just discovered "Talking Pictures" and love it! I watched the wonderful Liz Fraser telling us all about her debut in "I'm Alright Jack" and then the lovely "The Smallest Show On Earth" with that great cast of dotty characters. I do hope the channel does well, and survives amongst all the dross we keep getting on other channels.

Comment

Thank you for all the input. Sorry to be so long on getting back but, alas my computer went into intensive care. I like trains better than I like computers. I found Terror on a Train at The Pirate Bay and that's the one. The line was not quite as I remembered it but as soon as I heard "I like trains' I knew it was the one.

Comment

Working...
                      X