Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

1970s Football Film?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s Football Film?

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. Does anyone here know the title of a film I remember from the 1970s? The film featured two brothers who were desperate to see George Best play. They were trying to sneak off to watch Man Utd play at Liverpool. After the game, an old scouser comes into the pub and had to admit that George Best scored an amazing goal......... I can see the scene, but can't for the life of me remember the title of the film. Many thanks - Cefyn

The plot of This Boy's Story sounds right but it's from 1992

[url]https://www.timeout.com/london/film/this-boys-story[/url]

Comment

Welcome, Cefyn (is that Welsh for Kevin?). I've tried all sorts of Google and IMDb keyword searches with no luck. It wasn't even among the nine "Reference to George Best" results that came up. One of them was the early 1970s film Deep End, which I've yet to see. Unlikely, as it's popular with some members here. There have obviously been a lot more references, notably the sadly-late Rodney Bewes' catchphrase in Dear Mother, Love Albert: "All the Georgie Best".

What to do now? If you can remember any more details about the film, or describe the brothers, and better still the "old scouser" in the pub, we might get somewhere. Joe Gladwin, in the children's series Striker, and Brian Glover came to mind but they were from different parts of the North. The latter is best known for his football scenes in Kes and a classic Likely Lads episode. Could it be the now obscure Yesterday's Hero, starring Ian McShane (son of Man U goalkeeper Harry)? Or Boys from the Blackstuff?
      Last edited by cornershop15; 22nd January 2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Having Seen George play many times in his hey day' I consider myself a big fan of his and Quite clued up on his TV and Film appearances and References but this one escapes me Cefyn' I am intrigued to know what it is' sorry i cant help

Comment

Thank you so much guys - it's a mystery! I was talking with my brother, and the plot of this film came up. We both remembered bits of the plot and can both remember seeing it. The very brief plot outline I posted is an amalgamation of both our memory of this 'film'. I'll take up the story again with my brother when I see him again in a couple of days. Again, thank you for all of your replies so far.

And yes, Cefyn is the Welsh spelling of Kevin.

Comment

"And yes, Cefyn is the Welsh spelling of Kevin."

Surely you mean that Kevin is the Saesneg spelling of Cefyn :)

Steve (half Welsh but born & raised in London)

Comment

Cefyn, did you follow Tyne's link earlier? I think he's right. 'This Boy's Story' was made in the early 1990s but set in the 1960s AND, it would seem, the '70s (the brothers are played by different actors when they become young men). Real-life brothers Kevin and Steven Arnold (Ashley Peacock in 'Coronation Street') starred as the teenage boys. The older version of Kevin's character was another future 'Corrie' star, Thomas Craig (Tommy Harris). At a guess, the "old scouser" in the pub may have been Carl Chase. Do you remember him as bald? Try Google Images.

We can't post pictures in this section so I'll ask you to copy and paste this link to the IMDb's photo gallery:

imdb.com/title/tt0324233/mediaviewer/rm1359086336

You probably saw the Channel 4 transmission onTuesday, 17th October 1995 between 10 and 11pm. A profile of the pop group The Pretenders followed. Pity I missed both.
              Last edited by cornershop15; 23rd January 2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=cornershop15;n53083]We can't post pictures in this section[/QUOTE]

Why can't you? What happens when you try?

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Steve Crook;n53081]"And yes, Cefyn is the Welsh spelling of Kevin."

Surely you mean that Kevin is the Saesneg spelling of Cefyn :)

Steve (half Welsh but born & raised in London)[/QUOTE]

Ydy Wir - Actually Kevin is the Irish spelling of Cefyn!

Comment

[QUOTE=cornershop15;n53083]Cefyn, did you follow Tyne's link earlier? I think he's right. 'This Boy's Story' was made in the early 1990s but set in the 1960s AND, it would seem, the '70s (the brothers are played by different actors when they become young men). Real-life brothers Kevin and Steven Arnold (Ashley Peacock in 'Coronation Street') starred as the teenage boys. The older version of Kevin's character was another future 'Corrie' star, Thomas Craig (Tommy Harris). At a guess, the "old scouser" in the pub may have been Carl Chase. Do you remember him as bald? Try Google Images.

My goodness - this sounds right! I could have sworn I saw it in the 70s- Hmmm, I'll be back .........

Comment

Thats the One' Thanks Tyne' George Best is Credited' must try and track it down' [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324233/[/url]

Comment

After much deliberation - it turns out it WAS 'This Boy's Story'. Both my brother and I swore we remember it from the 70s. Obviously we were both wrong! Thank you Tyne, and everyone else who helped settle this. What an amazing site!

Cheers.

Cef

Comment

'Tis an amazing site, Cefyn.. but now comes the heartache of realising that you might never get to see the title you've enquired about. We've all been there, it's such a horrible feeling!

Comment

Hello Coleridge,

I've got a firestick that's been loaded with all the available stuff - I can find the film on there, but it doesn't stream. This happens sometimes and it's just a case of keep trying until it works. Frustrating - yes, but better than paying monthly for a load of carp. The firestick cost me £30 and I got it loaded for £10. It's brilliant, can't tell you how many obscure films and series I've found.

Comment

Working...
                            X