Michael Caine in Non-Diesel Car Film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Caine in Non-Diesel Car Film?

Hello, I caught the back end of a late-night radio phone-in about ten years ago, and they were discussing a film that starred Michael Caine as some sort of professor or scientist that had come up with a car that didn't require oil or fuel. I think the film was a political type thriller with probably the odd death along the way. It's an old film from around the 1960s/1970s.. Might any one know what this is? sounded interesting. There's a strong likelihood this was an American film.

Sounds like a play by David Mamet “the Water Engine” made into a TV movie, no mention of Michael Caine though

Comment

Odd to link Caine with a car film as he has said many times that he can't drive,

Comment

Is it 'non-petrol' as well as 'non-diesel'?

Comment

Michael Caine has a US licence I think.
          Additionally he might have a UK automatic only licence. I've certainly seen him driving in his later British films, including Fourth Protocol, Whistle Blower and Blue Ice.
          I remember reading at the time that for Blue Ice, they had to put an auto gearbox in the vintage Jaguar XK his character drives.

Comment

I thought that in his book he mentions driving past a theatre in his Rolls Royce which was was showing a play that he was once in and had he still have been in it then he might not have become a star. I haven't read the book for quite some time so I could be wrong

Comment

It's likely that he meant driving past a theatre in his chauffeured Roll's Royce.
              Although the Rolls (probably a Silver Shadow) was an automatic, I can't imagine Michael driving one himself.

Comment

Yes I seem to remember reading that he first learnt to drive (in some shape or form) during making The Italian Job - due to learning to drive a mini around on large private land.
                But didn't get a licence until he was about 50 after moving to the U.S. - as he needed to rather than have a chauffer.

Comment

Working...
                X