Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Can you name this TV series?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you name this TV series?

Coleridge's thread on 1980s and 1990s detective shows got me thing about this......

A man and his daughter are on the run from a gang of criminals. They catch him and force him to help with a bank robbery. The robbery involves installing a radio controlled device (which looks like a piece of furniture) in the lobby of a bank, which moves around when the bank is closed, thus setting the alarm off. The gang set the alarm off several times until the police and security guards agree there is a fault and turn the alarm off. The gang then rob the bank vault and escape in a BMW. The police chase it and they are forced to ram their way out down a very narrow passageway.
    They all end up hiding out in some isolated place.

I seem to remember it was a tv series which was later made as a film - which wasn't that good. I've got a vague recollection of Bernard Hill being in it, but I may be completely off track there.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

I saw something like this very recently, The Sweeney episode "Country Boy". The false alarms were set off by a roof top sniper. Probably not the show you're remembering as this is mid-70s, unless you're mixing two shows up (which I often do).
    Last edited by agutterfan; 27th June 2018, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Think I found it Big Figure, the 1987 movie Bellman & True? [I][URL="https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092636"]https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092636/[/URL][/I]
      Last edited by agutterfan; 27th June 2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

That's it!!! Many thanks Agutterfan - you're a star!

Comment

The only thing you mis-remembered, Big Figure, was that it was his son rather than his daughter. I think in the original novel by Desmond Lowden, there's the suggestion that the boy may be the man's step-son rather than biological son.

It has some excellent performances by Bernard Hill as the man who is press-ganged into helping the robbers, and Derek Newark as the leader of the robbers. Kieran O'Brien plays the boy, and Arthur Whybrow, Ken Bones and Richard Hope are the other robbers. It also has an excellent car-chase where the robbers' car ends up wedged between two garages ("they weren't there last time I did this route") and the getaway driver has to keep reversing back and ramming foward to try and get through. And of course the excellent finale where Bernard Hill's character improvises a bomb with a gas cylinder, a light bulb and a monkey wrench.

I've got the edited feature-film version on DVD, but I wish I'd kept my VHS recordings of the three parts of the original TV series which contained extra scenes.

Comment

[QUOTE=martinu;n59151] I wish I'd kept my VHS recordings of the three parts of the original TV series which contained extra scenes.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I remember it being a great series, and since Agutterfan's kindly helped me out by identifying it I've bought the DVD of the film. I'll be watching it on Thursday (first chance I'll get) but I'd much rather watch the longer original series.

I also seem to remember it was remade as a Hollywood film, set in the USA, with a female lead in the Bernard Hill role, but I can't find any reference to it. Not that I'd want to watch it though - I remember it being dire.

Comment

Remade by dynamic pop video director Russell Mulcahy in 1993 as "The Real McCoy" with Kim Basinger in the Hill role. Should have left well alone!

Comment

Thanks Toscana - it should have been called The Real Turkey!

Comment

Bernard Hill recast as Kim Basinger?! You have to give them credit in Hollywood, they have some great imaginations - barking mad, but always chasing the golden ticket.

Comment

[QUOTE=StoneAgeMan;n59232]Bernard Hill recast as Kim Basinger?! You have to give them credit in Hollywood, they have some great imaginations - barking mad, but always chasing the golden ticket.[/QUOTE]

I don't really blame the Hollywood machine on this occasion.

Word is that Basinger made a pest of herself turning up at the studios day in day out saying "Gizza job! I can do dat! I can do Bernard Hill. Go on, gizza job!" until they gave in.

Allegedly.

Comment

Never heard of Bellman & True, but I have now! I've always thought Bernard Hill would have made a great lead detective, working the city of say either Liverpool or Manchester. I think the BBC missed a trick there, he would have been fabulous.. not now though! back when he was in his prime, with the black curly hair and tash. I also think Tim Healy, policing the streets of Newcastle would have worked too.. I've seen him play a couple of detectives in a few episodes of Murder in Mind (2001) and he was very believable.

Comment

Working...
                      X