Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

British "heist" movie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British "heist" movie

[SIZE=20px]My son has asked me if I can identify a British black and white film concerning a gang that rents a shop next to a bank, then uses it as a base to rob the bank over the course of a weekend. I feel I should know this one but no success in the brain-racking department. Any help out there? [/SIZE]

'The Day They Robbed the Bank of England'?:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_They_Robbed_the_Bank_of_England

"They choose to carry out their heist on the first weekend in August, a long weekend wherein Monday is a bank holiday and most employees would be on vacation."

No mention of a shop though. I don't think it's 'The League of Gentlemen' (from the same year), which I've seen twice.

Comment

[QUOTE=cornershop15;n62172]'The Day They Robbed the Bank of England'?:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_They_Robbed_the_Bank_of_England

"They choose to carry out their heist on the first weekend in August, a long weekend wherein Monday is a bank holiday and most employees would be on vacation."

No mention of a shop though. I don't think it's 'The League of Gentlemen' (from the same year), which I've seen twice.[/QUOTE]

Not a shop - they go in through a sewer from the Thames.

Comment

Could it be Calculated Risk (1963) - a house rather than a shop - [url]https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056895/[/url]

Comment

This could be several 'B' movies, including a Danzigers which I can't recall the title of ..........!

Comment

This sounds like Three Crooked Men (1957) a Danziger production starring Eric Pohlmann, Gordon Jackson and Warren Mitchell.

Comment

Was he watching The Bank Job on a black and white television ?

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone - I'll pass them on.

Comment

Was it The Bank Job, starring Jason Statham? :rolleyes:

[Edit] - ah no, that wasn't B&W... :o

Comment

The plotline sounds awfully like the Sherlock Holmes story "The Red-Headed League".

Comment

Working...
                    X