R. S. Franklin as King Lear at the Dury Lane Theatre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R. S. Franklin as King Lear at the Dury Lane Theatre

I'm trying to identify a film from some production art - the image I have shows the Dury Lane Theatre with neon signs for "R. S. Franklin as King Lear"

From the cars the setting is late 30's/40's which could be contemporary with the production - any ideas?

Are there any films 1930-1960 that feature the exterior of the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane?

Comment

I tried IMDb for location, but not very helpful ([URL="https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?locations=Theatre%20Royal,%20Drury%20Lane,%20Covent%20Garden,%20London,%20England,%20UK&sort=year,asc"]https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?l...&sort=year,asc[/URL]). I think part of the problem maybe that that marquee billing is in all likelihood fictional. I can find no information about an actor called R S Franklin, and according to the Theatre Royal, the last time they performed "King Lear" was in 1827! Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Comment

I did pretty well the same thing, which makes me think (as does the fact that the sign was made by the film's designer department) that it was mocked up especially for the film. I thought you could search for character names in imdb, but I didn't get anywhere trying.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian Fryer;n73761]I did pretty well the same thing, which makes me think (as does the fact that the sign was made by the film's designer department) that it was mocked up especially for the film. I thought you could search for character names in imdb, but I didn't get anywhere trying.[/QUOTE]

The IMDb dropped the ability to search for character names some time ago. You can always try Google with the search clause "site:www.imdb.com"

Steve

Comment

• Ian Fryer
            Ian Fryer commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tip Steve. Just tried and no luck. Perhaps Franklin was not a character in the film, just a name user for the signage. Either that or he had a first name - Roger or Richard or something.

I did find an identical angle of the Theatre Royal in 'Never let Me Go' - but the theatre, in the film, represents a Russian theatre and is surrounded by Russian troops and dignitaries - nothing like the Theatreland setting of the set design.

Having 'King Lear' as the production depicted is a little odd - given, as Agutterfan says, the Theatre Royal is known for musicals, not Shakespeare.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Capture.JPG","data-attachmentid":73785}[/ATTACH]
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X