Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Two-man warplane with rear gunner forced in to a dam wall by another plane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-man warplane with rear gunner forced in to a dam wall by another plane

I've just seen a short storyboard labeled as 'unknown Ealing film' from MGM British studios.

Eight frames shows a two-man twin engine warplane taking off from an airfield near a dam. As it gets into the air a second single-engine plane appears and swoops down. Before the rear gunner can shoot the second plane lowers its undercarriage and rams its wheels into the wings of the first plane either aide of an astonished rear gunner. The two planes are then seen flying towards the dam wall - presumably the second plane is in control and deliberately ramming at the dam.

I can't think of any Ealing film, made or unmade that would contain such a sequence. But maybe someone out there can.

Oh, I read that as a "damn wall!", instead of the wall of a dam.
    From the storyboard, does it seem possible that the second plane was trying to land and didn't see the taking-off plane? Then, once locked together, they crashed into the dam despite valiant efforts to recover?

Comment

[QUOTE=StoneAgeMan;n8333]From the storyboard, does it seem possible that the second plane was trying to land and didn't see the taking-off plane? Then, once locked together, they crashed into the dam despite valiant efforts to recover?[/QUOTE]

No - it looks like a deliberate dam ram plan!

Comment

Are the plane's markings visible? Both RAF roundels, or one German cross?

Do the storyboards indicate close-ups of the occupants? Is there dialogue? Can you tell which character(s) we are meant to care about?

I hate a damn wham of a dam slam, when there's no clue as to who might pull through or whose time is due.

Comment

The Man in the Sky 1957 ?

Comment

[QUOTE=StoneAgeMan;n8335]Are the plane's markings visible? Both RAF roundels, or one German cross?

Do the storyboards indicate close-ups of the occupants? Is there dialogue? Can you tell which character(s) we are meant to care about?

I hate a damn wham of a dam slam, when there's no clue as to who might pull through or whose time is due.[/QUOTE]

No close ups of either pilot - only the surprised gunner.

The second plane appears to have RAF roundels - the first plane has a rear machine gunner in the cockpit, typical of German WWII planes - but neither plane is an exact representation of either a British or German plane - believe me, I've looked.

Comment

Apparently Michael Balcon was supposed top be planning 'Destruction Point' at MGM around this time - no idea if any scenes like this would fit in the plot. 'Circle of Deception' was the name it was given when made at Pinewood.

Comment

Hello

Somehow "Ships with Wings" (1941) rings a vague bell:

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035322/[/url]

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ships_with_Wings[/url]

Unfortunately I watched it a long time ago and cannot find a current copy to confirm the stated scene. But if I remember correctly the climax was an attack on an enemy port and there was a dam involved.

Comment

It was an attack on an enemy dam.I recall that John Clements had blotted his cookbook,and takes the plane on the one way trip in order to redeem himself and so that his girlfriend can marry a decent bloke.

Comment

Sounds promising - the airfield the enemy plane takes off is not in a typical European setting - looks like north Africa (flat plane with a palm tree) - but I'd discounted that, there being a dam in the distance.

Are there copies of the film floating around?

Comment

Just found this page: [url]http://modelshipsinthecinema.com/wp/archives/tag/douglas-woolsey[/url]

Well done Lazarus! Spot on!

This looks like a fantastic film!

Comment

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tsww01.jpg Views:\t2 Size:\t36.4 KB ID:\t9481","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"9481","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tsww02.jpg Views:\t3 Size:\t49.3 KB ID:\t9482","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"9482","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tsww03.jpg Views:\t3 Size:\t34.4 KB ID:\t9483","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"9483","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tsww04.jpg Views:\t3 Size:\t57.0 KB ID:\t9484","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"9484","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]
                        Attached Files

Comment

The documentation attached to the storyboard gives the artist as 'Elliot Scott' - so this is before his first credit in 'Thunder Rock'

Comment

I have this so if you would like a copy let me know

Comment

[QUOTE=orpheum;n9519]I have this so if you would like a copy let me know[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the offer, but I've found it on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                              X