Diminutive woman in a cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diminutive woman in a cabinet

Hello, I'm trying to find the title of a black and white film, possibly 1930's or 1940's made, which I once viewed on TV (probably 1980's or 90's), but I can only remember a couple of scenes from the film, I'm unsure if it's British or American.

In the Study/Library of a large house a small cabinet sits on top of a desk, inside the cabinet resides an adult, but tiny woman, we see what she sees through the mesh covering of the cabinet door, looking from right to left (or left to right) as a man enters the room, the man becomes intrigued by the cabinet, opens the door, and the woman is there, they then have a short conversation.

The only other scene I recall is near the end of the film, where a group of people (possibly Circus performers, though the film isn't 'Freaks'), are fleeing from something, maybe fleeing through caves, one of the characters is a large 'man-monster' type figure, who is really a gentle-giant, as he carries the diminutive woman to safety.

Any ideas please ?..........cheers.:)

Could it be "La Strada" (1954)? Anthony Quinn plays a circus strongman & Giulietta Masina (who is very small) plays a clown.

Comment

[QUOTE=wadsy;n89239]Could it be "La Strada" (1954)? Anthony Quinn plays a circus strongman & Giulietta Masina (who is very small) plays a clown.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the reply wadsy, but unfortunately (having googled the images) it isn't La Strada.

The woman I am visualising has dark hair, and is only about a couple of foot or so in height.

Comment

Is the woman a midget or a miniature full sized woman?

Comment

[QUOTE=wadsy;n89251]Is the woman a midget or a miniature full sized woman?[/QUOTE]

A Midget, very tiny legs, almost unseeable.

Comment

The gentle monster makes me think of this, but it's in colour and made in 1977, though it looks old-fashioned for its day:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=len3Ursvbuc[/video]

Comment

[QUOTE=Mark O;n89255]

A Midget, very tiny legs, almost unseeable.[/QUOTE]

Did she dance inside the cabinet ?

Comment

Could it be Bride of Frankenstein (1933)? Dr Pretorious creates living homunculi, about a foot tall, kept in cabinets.

Comment

[QUOTE=cassidy;n89259]

Did she dance inside the cabinet ?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so, but thank you for the reply anyhow cassidy.

Comment

[QUOTE=garth;n89257]The gentle monster makes me think of this, but it's in colour and made in 1977, though it looks old-fashioned for its day:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=len3Ursvbuc[/video][/QUOTE]

Thank you Garth.

Comment

[QUOTE=agutterfan;n89266]Could it be Bride of Frankenstein (1933)? Dr Pretorious creates living homunculi, about a foot tall, kept in cabinets. [/QUOTE]

It could well be, I've been googling images of the film, but couldn't see any homunculi, if they flee towards the end of the film, then it most probably is BOF.

I'll have to try and watch it, thank you for the reply agutterfan.

Comment

There are miniature people in "The Devil Doll" (1936).

Comment

Thank you for the replies so far everyone, but having looked at clips of the films mentioned on you-tube, it isn't any of them !........:(

I hope I'm not dreaming this !..........:eek:

Comment

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gamelyn;n89365]The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the response, but looking at stills from both movies, I can't see any connection.

There was a 'walls tumbling down' scene at the end of Bride of Frankenstein (on youtube), as there was in the film I'm trying to ascertain, with (Circus?)people fleeing, maybe it's too obscure.

Comment

Working...
                              X