Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical movie spanning generations in the same house

Hi,

I hope you're all doing well in these strange coronavirus times.

I wonder if you can help me, please? There's an old movie I saw on TV as a child that's stayed in my memory but I've never been able to find out what it is. The plot is fairly unique, I'd say.

- Probably the biggest clue (but am I blending two movies?): Historical sequence, a woman is dreadfully ill in bed and her evil (brunette?) love-rival leaves a window open during a stormy night so that she gets sicker and dies.
    - The evil murderess may get beaten to death years later by the husband when he finds out.
    - Black and white
    - The film's story starts during World War 2
    - A grand old house is up for auction
    - A young man and a young woman (one English and one American?), both in the armed services, meet at that auction.
    - The story unfolds in flashback about the building of the house and the family who lived there.
    - At the end of the movie, the man and woman leave together, revealed to us as 'reincarnations' of two unhappy lovers (possibly the young woman was the murdered woman).

Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by Wynnstan; 19th May 2020, 12:55 PM.

It sounds like The Man in Grey to me - Stewart Granger and Phyllis Calvert meet in WWII London and realise they have ancestors in common. Their Regency ancestors (also played by Stewart Granger and Phyllis Calvert) meet and fall in love, but she is married to Lord Rohan (James Mason). Also in the household is the wife's schoolfriend (Margaret Lockwood), who starts an affair with Rohan and eventually manages to kill the wife by leaving the window open so the wife's not necessarily dangerous chill becomes fatal.

She's seen doing this by the family's young black servant who (if I'm remembering correctly) spills the beans, resulting in the mistress being beaten to death by Rohan. Not for his wife's murder, mind, but by dishonouring the aristocratic name.
    Last edited by skaface; 21st May 2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Yes! Definitely the one. Looking at the images online, it's all coming back to me. Beautiful, thank you very much.

Comment

Youre welcome.

I need to get a DVD of it as I haven't seen it in years and want to watch it again.

I always like to see Stewart Granger, he was devastatingly handsome into old age.

Comment

It's been shown on TPTV very recently and so is likely to crop up again, but if you decide to get the DVD the best price I've found is at Base.

[url]https://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/The-Man-In-Grey/1054456.htm[/url]
          Last edited by Nick Dando; 22nd May 2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick Dando;n89635]It's been shown on TPTV very recently and so is likely to crop up again, but if you decide to get the DVD the best price I've found is at Base.

[url]https://www.find-dvd.co.uk/dvd/The-Man-In-Grey/1054456.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you Nick, but I've bought it from Amazon Prime and am watching it now - I'm wincing a bit at the use of the word 'nigger,' but the film is of course of its time and the word needs no apology, like the name of the dog in The Dam Busters.

Comment

Working...
            X