Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

'British' version of 'Village of the Damned' - without glowing eyes.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'British' version of 'Village of the Damned' - without glowing eyes.

I've ordered a copy of the current DVD version - but would very much like a copy of the 'British' version to compare it with - the one without the glowing eyes and the "M-G-M British Studios" credit at the end.

Wasn't that version shown on BBC1 or BBC2 on it's last tv showing?

Comment

The version without the glowing eyes was certainly shown on BBC1 in their "Sci-Fi Season" in 1974, when I first (audio) recorded the film. According to my notes, it included the end credit "Made at MGM British Studios, Borehamwood, England" which is absent from the glowing eyes version on the Warner Bros. DVD of it issued in 2006.

Comment

I do have an old recording of this. I'm really busy at present but will try to dig it out when I get time.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gerald Lovell;n10289]The version without the glowing eyes was certainly shown on BBC1 in their "Sci-Fi Season" in 1974, [/QUOTE]

What about after 1974?

Comment

Which version did Bravo show in the '90s?

Comment

The BBC certainly used the UK version for screenings in possibly 1992 and definitely 1994, which I recorded. They were also screenings in 1996 and 1997.
              Last edited by Nick Cooper; 16th August 2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

My DVDs turned up today - I thought I was getting the US two-disk set of Village and Children - what I got was a region 2 set - same cover - but no commentary tracks.

So watch out - I took my time buying these discs, but still ended up with the wrong set. Same cover, same production company, different product.

Comment

I did get a P.M. about this - but all messages I received and sent have disappeared. Yes - I'm still interested please get in touch again.

Comment

I have the alternate version. Interestingly, the commentary track on an earlier release stated that no alternate version without shining eyes existed. Simon

Comment

I'm sure I only saw the version [U]with[/U] the glowing eyes for the first time in the late '90s

Comment

I'm 99% sure that any off-air recording of 'Village of the Damned' in the UK up to 1990s will be the non-glowing eye version. The only version certified by the BBFC in the UK was without the 'glowing eye' effect.

Comment

[QUOTE=Anthony McKay;n38488]I'm 99% sure that any off-air recording of 'Village of the Damned' in the UK up to 1990s will be the non-glowing eye version. The only version certified by the BBFC in the UK was without the 'glowing eye' effect.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that. I had only seen the film on television before I got the 2006 DVD which was the first time I saw the "glowing eyes".

Comment

Despite this I'm still pulling my hair out trying to find a copy.

Comment

Working...
                            X