The Monitors (1969)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Monitors (1969)

Might anyone have a decent copy of The Monitors on DVD-R? I know there's a pretty clean upload on YouTube of this film, but I'd like something of similar quality that hasn't undergone YT compression. Why on earth this hasn't been commercially released is beyond me, it's a tidy little sci-fi gem in my opinion, and one that would surely have mass-appeal with both the left and right given the current political climate. Let me know if you can help, I have stuff to trade or can pay.

Coleridge

Sounds like something we'd enjoy, Coleridge. We found an IMDB reference to it being available on Netflix but it doesn't show up on their streaming service. Bah!

Comment

[QUOTE=Coleridge;n63887] similar quality that hasn't[B] undergone YT compression[/B].

Coleridge

[/QUOTE]

Can anyone explain what this means?

As the YT one is very good quality so I am a bit confused!!

Comment

The YT video is 210 MB and poor quality, the VIDEO_TS file (DVD-R) contains all the data from the original DVD, is 3 GB and far superior to the YT video as it hasn't been compressed, think that's what Coleridge means.

Comment

Just to clarify, the version on YouTube is perfectly watchable on your PC, in fact it's rather good quality considering it has never been comercially released, however, once you download it from YouTube and play it on a TV screen larger than say 26" it starts to deteriorate, and on a screen the size of mine, it looks poor. Villefort is indeed right, a proper DVD-R copy would weigh in around 3gb and be of far better image integrity.

Comment

Cheers to you both for that.:)

Comment

[QUOTE=Metro1962;n64101]
              As the YT one is very good quality so I am a bit confused!![/QUOTE]

Fuzzy 360p "good quality"? :eek:

Comment

No complaints about the picture quality in Amazon's customer reviews, most of which are negative about the film itself:

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Monitors-Classic-Comedy-Horror-Movie/dp/B01IWNE1JW/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1542412316&sr=1-1&keywords=the+monitors[/url]

The main attraction for me is cult favourite Susan Oliver (best remembered for 'The Twilight Zone' and a two-part episode of 'The Fugitive').

Comment

• agutterfan
                  agutterfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Susan Oliver was also in the Star Trek pilot "The Cage", re-edited as the two part story "The Menagerie" in season 1 (she's the green Orion slave girl on the end credits).

[QUOTE=narabdela;n64242]

Fuzzy 360p "good quality"? :eek:[/QUOTE]

Depends on how fussy you are

Comment

[QUOTE=Metro1962;n64318]

Depends on how fussy you are[/QUOTE]

'Fussy'? I think 'discriminating' is the word you're looking for.

As Villefort has said in post #4, the YouTube video is 'poor quality'. (abysmal imho, the compression is horrible). The DVD-R has well over ten times the video information and is presumably perfectly watchable.

Comment

[QUOTE=narabdela;n64444]

'Fussy'? I think 'discriminating' is the word you're looking for.

[/QUOTE]

If a film is very hard to find and not available on any format and the only version you can get is the YT version then yes you are being very fussy and should be grateful that a version exists regardless of quality at least until one appears maybe later on.

Comment

[QUOTE=Metro1962;n64486]

If a film is very hard to find and not available on any format and the only version you can get is the YT version then yes you are being very fussy and should be grateful that a version exists regardless of quality at least until one appears maybe later on.

[/QUOTE]

No. Wrong again I'm afraid.

Comment

[QUOTE=narabdela;n64498]

No. Wrong again I'm afraid.

[/QUOTE]

If you say so!!

Comment

I don't think you followed my link, Metro1962 (post #8). Understandably so as you have to edit the URL parts before you copy and paste.

Try Googling 'the monitors 1969 dvd'. The first two results are Amazon.com's DVD-R (currently $9.49) and iOffer (an even more expensive £14.24). The picture quality does look very clear though in the latter's sample images. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X