Where the Spies Are (1966)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the Spies Are (1966)

Does anyone have a release date down to the month for the Spanish region 2 DVD of the David Niven spy movie Where the Spies Are (1966)?

Also is this a Warner Brothers release?

I know that the region free Warner Archive Collection edition was issued on 10th March 2015.

As always any information gratefully appreciated.
    Last edited by Mikey; 26 August 2019, 10:30 AM.

The Spanish Amazon and El Corte Ingl├ęs give a release date of 16th August 2016. Distribution name is 'llamantol', which translates as ... lamantol (whatever that means):

https://www.elcorteingles.es/cine/A1...os-espias-dvd/

More of their products here, including two intriguing titles even I've never encountered before: 'The Guilt of Janet Ames', starring Rosalind Russell, and 'The Beginning or the End' with Brian Donlevy):l

https://www.elcorteingles.es/llamentol/cine/
    Last edited by cornershop15; 26 August 2019, 12:08 PM. Reason: 'The Beginning OR the End' (not of).

Comment

cornershop

Many thanks for responding to this. I should have expected that if anyone could provide an answer then it would be you, what more can I say except great detective work.

Llamantol (I believe its two l's at the beginning) is a Spanish DVD brand who do a number of older titles, I have a copy of their issue of another sixties spy movie, The Liquidator starring Rod Taylor. There are two soundtrack options: English and Spanish.

Comment

Always glad to be of help, Mikey.

It seems there are a number of 1960s thrillers/adventure movies still awaiting a British DVD release. I remember complaining about 'The Naked Runner' at another of your threads earlier this year. Two more that come to mind are 'Masquerade' (Cliff Robertson, Jack Hawkins) and 'Where the Bullets Fly'. The latter had a fight scene between Tom Adams and a young Chinese man who had entered his hotel room disguised as a very convincing (attractive) woman. Probably a villain posing as room service. As they often did in Sixties productions.

All of the above, including the two films you mentioned, were shown on ITV in the 1980s. They've faded so badly in the memory that I couldn't tell you if they were as good, or as bad, as Richard Johnson's Bulldog Drummond movies (Network DVD) or 'Hot Enough for June', which has now progressed (?) to Blu-Ray I notice.

Wheras 'Voices' and 'Joy in the Morning' continue to be unavailable in ANY format, depressingly.

Comment

With reference to the previous post (#4) on this thread by cornershop15:

Originally posted by cornershop15 View Post
          Wheras 'Voices' and 'Joy in the Morning' continue to be unavailable in ANY format, depressingly.
          =====

1) 'Voices' - if this is the 1974 film with David Hemmings:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070888/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_13

then I did find it (though it seems to be around 4 minutes shorter then the 'official' length stated on IMDb):

"Voices (1973, a.k.a. Nightmare); dir: Kevin Billington, starring David Hemmings"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIbRt7tcQNA

2) The only relevant "Joy in the Morning' entry in IMDb was the unlikely? 1965 USA movie with Richard Chamberlain and Yvette Mimieux. Could it have been known under another title?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059339/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Comment

It seems there are a number of 1960s thrillers/adventure movies still awaiting a British DVD release. I remember complaining about 'The Naked Runner' at another of your threads earlier this year. Two more that come to mind are 'Masquerade' (Cliff Robertson, Jack Hawkins) and 'Where the Bullets Fly'. The latter had a fight scene between Tom Adams and a young Chinese man who had entered his hotel room disguised as a very convincing (attractive) woman. Probably a villain posing as room service. As they often did in Sixties productions.

All of the above, including the two films you mentioned, were shown on ITV in the 1980s. They've faded so badly in the memory that I couldn't tell you if they were as good, or as bad, as Richard Johnson's Bulldog Drummond movies (Network DVD) or 'Hot Enough for June', which has now progressed (?) to Blu-Ray I notice.

I'd add to the list another Dirk Bogarde spy movie, though it's not exactly a thriller. Sebastian (1968) is especially important as it was meant to be Michael Powell's comeback film as a director. Although he retained a Producer credit, by the time the film reached the screen the directors chair was filled by David Greene. There is a copy on YouTube, which reveals quite an interesting film set in the world of code-breaking with an excellent music score by Jerry Goldsmith.

Comment

cornershop

Some of the movies you mention can be found on the net in certain places, but I always advise to get a personal recommendation before parting with any money. I've never seen Where the Bullets Fly or the other two Charles Vine films, The Second Best Secret Agent in the Whole Wide World and O.K. Yevtushenko (aka Somebody's Stolen Our Russian Spy), which was shot on location in Spain and only featured Tom Adams and Dawn Adams from the earlier films. You could add Assignment K and Danger Route to your list of movies that have yet to officially appear on DVD or Blu-ray. I would have thought that all these unissued titles would be perfect for at least a limited edition press to order release, or a Spanish edition with an English soundtrack option.
              Last edited by Mikey; 27 August 2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

"The only relevant Joy in the Morning' entry in IMDb was the unlikely? 1965 USA movie with Richard Chamberlain and Yvette Mimieux!

"Unlikely" in what sense, lazarus?

I watched the YouTube copy of 'Sebastian', and indeed 'Voices', a few years ago, and am relieved they're still online. Not ideal but I remain grateful for the opportunities (hadn't seen either since the 1980s). The most notable thing about 'Sebastian' for me is that it includes the last big screen appearances of Janet Munro - discounting her CFF film - and the brilliant Margaret Johnston. I'm afraid I can't remember what the recently-late John Ronane did.

We were better off in the 1980s, Mikey. When we had the chance to video tape rare broadcasts of these now-obscure films. Look how difficult it is to get hold of 'Hard Contract' now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Contra...d%2C177&sr=1-1

They are either unreleased, unavailable, or too expensive (Foreign DVDs don't appeal, even with English soundtracks). I keep hoping Network will one day produce "digitally remastered" versions of films like 'Where the Spies Are', complete with PDF press book - just as they did with another David Niven movie I remember seeing on ITV in the afternoon, 'Guns of Darkness'.

Comment

Assignment K is available as a Region 1 disc on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                    Assignment K is available as a Region 1 disc on Amazon
                    Thanks for the information orpheum

I got my region 2 copy some years ago when I could not locate an official copy. I also noticed while looking on Amazon that an official region 2 release exists and again its a Spanish issue.

Comment

cornershop

Have you considered dropping a line to Network via their website?

Its been several years since I spoke with him, but Steve Rogers (not Captain America, but a guy with the same name) seemed approachable regarding suggestions for new releases.
                      Last edited by Mikey; 28 August 2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

With regard to the earlier post of cornershop15 (28th August 2019, 03:46 PM #8 p1):

(
                        "The only relevant Joy in the Morning' entry in IMDb was the unlikely? 1965 USA movie with Richard Chamberlain and Yvette Mimieux!

"Unlikely" in what sense, lazarus?
                        Unlikely in the sense that "Joy in the Morning" (1965) is:

1) USA rather than a British production
                        2) but more importantly quoting IMDb (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059339...1?ref_=nv_sr_1) is a "Drama, Romance" rather then a thriller or spy movie which I thought was the object of this thread

=====

I would have to agree about the reduced opportunities to obtain the highest resolution versions - which used to be done by legally buying a physical dvd/blu-ray. I am interested in set design and the reuse of props so like to examine individual frames closely and if needed grab a still. However the future is not in physical discs but with the streamer services (ie. Netflix) with their 'rent not own' philosophy using their installed 'just be grateful you can even watch it during this limited release period' locked down viewers. Therefore it would appear the only other way - which is unacceptable - would be to wait for the pirate hacker to 'break' the latest encryption code and release 'plain' versions - like what apparently happened with the iTunes James Bond 4k Collection.
                        Last edited by lazarus6; 30 August 2019, 06:09 PM.

Comment

I don't know if this is relevant but i recently visited a telecine company called supaphoto and they showed me original 16mm cine reels (must have been 3 or 4) of Where the spies are and he was saying that with the right projector and as long as the original film was in good enough condition, nothing could beat the dynamic range that the original film could show. i've attached a link below to the company, i just thought it was super interesting and wanted to share it with you guys!

https://www.supaphoto.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X