Armchair Theatre : 'The Pier' 1957

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armchair Theatre : 'The Pier' 1957

Can any kind member point me toward a copy of a 1957 Armchair Theatre episode entitled 'The Pier'. An old, and now sadly deceased friend had a bit part and I would love to see this. I had hoped that it might have been part of the Network slate of ABC releases but it would seem not. Has it been wiped or is it out there somewhere...?

Remember videotape was not introduced in the UK until 1958, so a 1957 play would have beem broadcast live..

Exceptionally, plays were kinescoped to 16mm film but only if they had export potential, or deemed worthy of a permanent record (such as George Orwell's 1984 for the BBC)
    Last edited by julian_craster; 5 July 2021, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I didn't know that videotape wasn't introduced until 1958, so it looks as though this particular production may well be lost. Also leading man Kenneth Griffith probably not a big enough 'name' to warrant kinescoping..... Disappointing.

Comment

Junked, I’m afraid.

[B]6-10-57: THE PIER by James Forsyth, directed by Peter Zasek[/B]
        [I]Trina makes a date to meet five different Teddy Boys at the end of a pier at a seaside town. Then she sits hidden in a rowing boat and waits for the brawl that follows. What is it that has made Trina a Teddy Girl – and what causes the cult of the Teddy Boys?[/I]

For what it’s worth, the earliest surviving ARMCHAIR THEATRE is from a month before, while the next is seven weeks down the line.

Comment

Working...
        X