The Flight of the Condor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flight of the Condor

I wonder If anyone could help me - I have a friend who is looking for a dvd of this BBC 3 part series from 1982. I think the 3 parts were entitled 1. Ice, Wind and Fire, 2. Ocean Desert and Thin Air 3. Down the Amazon. She had this on VHS until the tape snapped so is now hoping to get a replacement on dvd. Unfortunately it does not appear that all 3 parts have ever been released commercially. Happy to pay or exchange to anyone who can help please.

bertie

Fire, Wind, and Fire is available on YouTube

Comment

Bertie

Can't help directly but surely it is easy enough to repair the tape and most VHS cases come apart quite easily. If it is a case which is not screwed together then force open the case, ,extract the contents and transfer these to another case which is held together with screws. With some care and a little sticky tape a perfect repair can be made.

Many sticky tapes used to "ooze" after a period but I think most modern stuff is OK. Anyway you can easily get tape which does not have this problem. They used to use it for splicing film.

Cut the VHS tape diagonally where it is to be joined and on viewing the join will never be noticed.

In the days of VHS I have repaired dozens of tapes this way with no problems.

Early machines had a habit of snapping tapes near the beginning when the motor brakes were suddenly applied as tapes were being rewound however most later machines had soft start and stop motors.

It is surely worth going to a little trouble here especially since this item is not available commercially.

Comment

Thanks to both Metro1962 and Johng. The YouTube is Ok but still only one of the parts but thanks all the same. As to repairing the tape, unfortunately it was also mangled by the machine but, in any event, has now gone to the landfill or recycling centre!

I will live in hope that one of our number in the forum can help with the 3 parts.

Comment

There is a VHs copy for sale on ebay at this very moment

Comment

Johng
            Many thanks for keeping your eye open for this item. The VHS which is for sale on ebay (which is what I think you are referring to) is a 60 minute much edited version which my friend has seen. Unfortunately what she is after is recordings of 3 one hour films shown as a series on BBC in 1982 but never commercially released. It is irritating that there are any number of books and discs of the music for the series but no one seems to have the complete 3 part series on vhs or dvd.

bertie

Comment

Have you looked on Craiglist too?

Comment

With regard to finding the 1982 BBC series "The Flight of the Condor" post on this thread by [U][I]bertie[/I][/U] (8th April 2019, 03:21 PM #1) it appears that the site "https://archive.org" has all three episodes - each around 58 minutes long and available for download as a MPEG4 or OGG video.

1. Ice, Wind and Fire,
                [URL]https://archive.org/details/IceWindAndFire[/URL]

2. Ocean Desert and Thin Air
                [URL]https://archive.org/details/OceanDesertAndThinAir[/URL]

3. Down the Amazon
                [URL]https://archive.org/details/DownTheAmazon[/URL]
                Last edited by lazarus6; 29th July 2019, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the interest in my post and for the suggestions. As it turns out I did find the 3 films on archive.org and did successfully download them. Only minor difference is that the narration is by a US voice and not Andrew Sachs who was used when the BBC showed the films.

Comment

best film my love

Comment

Working...
                    X