Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Sabrina day 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sabrina day 2018

A happy new year to one and all.

SABRINA DAY will be on the 20th May 2018 at Stockport Plaza Super Cinema more details will be displayed on the Cinema web site nearer the time I am sure. Hope to bump into some of you at the main event.
    Mersey Square
    Stockport
    SK1 1SP

What is Sabrina Day?

Comment

I’m glad you said “what is” rather than “who is ...”.
      it’s presumably a day to celebrate the actress / glamour model Sabrina.
      http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0754910/

Steve

Comment

Or to celebrate the River Severn.

Nick

Comment

Comment

I think we are dealing with Norma Sykes here, from Stockport, and a protege of Arthur Askey, without whom she may still have been a waitress. 1936 - 2016.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
              Or to celebrate the River Severn.
              Very clever Nick

Hafren = Sabrina = Severn

Steve

Comment

Correct Steve It will be a celebration of Stockport born and darling of Britain Norma Ann Sykes aka Sabrina who sadly passed in 2016, it should be a really interesting day for friends and fans alike.
                Having appeared in ten films, recorded vinyl's, TV, radio, stage not to mention the modelling they will be able to put together a good celebratory event I am sure.

You can also see Sabrina on the Blu-Ray in high definition, that's if you little hearts can take it as an included extra BEAT GIRL ASIN: B01B68QM10

Comment

Interesting to see the silent film on the tube SABRINAS NIGHT DRESS with many Taverner faces being captured including Mancunian Films John Blythe (Its a grand life)

Comment

Is there a site about Mancunian films that I should visit. My family have some history that brought them into contact with Mancunian Butcher, but I don't know much about it. My Grandfather, Jimmy Plant, appeared in "Off The Dole" with George Formby, and "Demobbed" with Nat Jackley, et al. He was never that much involved with film though and was mostly known for theatre and radio.

Comment

Not as such but we do have a annual small gathering of fans each year, collect materials and carry out other tasks like keeping the Blakeley grave tidy. With Jim being born in Stockport might be an idea to keep the 20th May in mind.
                      Have the hand bill for that film 'JAMES PLANT Crisp and Debonair'

Comment

Originally posted by Mancunian Films View Post
                        Have the hand bill for that film 'JAMES PLANT Crisp and Debonair'
                        He probably wrote that himself! He did love his own image apparently, but also had some admirers. He died when I was just a few months old, but my older siblings have fond memories of him. He retired from the stage to run one of the larger guest houses in Blackpool which was especially popular with performers.

Comment

Always found him interesting to watch in OTD a film I know very well being a Mancunian Film fan also nice to learn a little bit more about him. Many pros took up Blackpool guest houses even Sabrina lived there and not so long ago we were stood in what was her bedroom also in Blackpool with people who didn't even know she had lived there...such is life. I wonder which guest house he had?

Comment

The guest house was "The Grosvenor", which was a large pub that had guest rooms above. Here is a pic (circa 1962, I think), which shows him with his daughters and grandchildren, in the Charabanc that was used to collect guests from the train station.

Comment

I believe that was on the corner of Cookson Street which is now a car park regretfully. Lovely photograph and nice to see Jim in later years.

Comment

Working...
                              X