Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Tower Bridge in Films

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lazarus6 View Post
    Hello

Your wish is my command...
    My thanks to you Lazarus. I have several studio logos on my PC, but not for the Two Cities. For some reason, I couldn't save the ones that were on Google Images in order to post one on here.

Comment

Hello

"The World is not Enough" (1999)

The 'Thames Boat Chase' with Bond man handling Q's 'fishing boat' - the Tower Bridge appears in multiple scenes from 00:00:39 (still below) through to 00:01:14 in the following excerpt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Tdmxx54PY

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tower Bridge - The World is not Enough.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	9502

Comment

Name:	Tower Bridge - Flemish Farm (1943).jpg
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	9497

Two Cities was London and Rome.

Comment

Hello

Laura Croft Tomb Raider (2001)

From the "street view" perspective - starting at the 00:00:48 mark in the following trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnNBqNb3taw

Name:	Tower Bridge - Laura Croft Tomb Raider (2001).jpg
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	9743

Comment

Hello

The Magic Christian (1969)

Besides numerous 'outrageous' scenes including Raquel Welch's "Priestess of the Whip" there is of course the Tower Bridge which appears starting at 01:08:07, 01:34:47 (still below) and 01:24:57 in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpmfQNoJkDo

Name:	Tower Bridge - The Magic Christian (1969).jpg
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	9745

Comment

The opening scene of Hitchcock's 'Frenzy', the camera is zooming in by air from the east, Guys Hospital was almost completed, a crane can be seen on it.

The theme music by Ron Goodwin was played on Classic FM recently, sounds similar to London pride, which was the intention.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark O View Post

The theme music by Ron Goodwin was played on Classic FM recently, sounds similar to London pride, which was the intention.
                I always think Ron Goodwin's main title for Frenzy has a Dickensian Christmas feel to it for some reason. Henry Mancini originally wrote the score to Frenzy, but it was rejected by Hitchcock and/or Universal and Ron was engaged instead, a bit like the circumstances of Battle of Britain a couple of years earlier. After his falling out with Bernard Herrmann over the music for Torn Curtain, Hitchcock used different composers for each of his remaining films.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

I always think Ron Goodwin's main title for Frenzy has a Dickensian Christmas feel to it for some reason. Henry Mancini originally wrote the score to Frenzy, but it was rejected by Hitchcock and/or Universal and Ron was engaged instead, a bit like the circumstances of Battle of Britain a couple of years earlier. After his falling out with Bernard Herrmann over the music for Torn Curtain, Hitchcock used different composers for each of his remaining films.
                  Yes, a Dickensian, Christmassy tone, that sums the theme up, as good as any, what will the bells, etc;

Link to the Ron Goodwin theme........

https://youtu.be/iHZ_CkYiL7I

Link to the rejected Henry Mancini theme, first time I've actually heard it, not sure about the organ, sounds a bit funereal........

https://youtu.be/9DpwaIAnG2E

Comment

Thanks for the comparisons Mark. Frenzy is one of my favourite films Hitchcock made in the UK, and until now I never realised there was another score previously written for that film.

Comment

Hello

I have created a new "Off-Topic Discussion" Forum item called "Tower Bridge in films (non-British)".

This occurred after I realised that in my enthusiasm for the hunt I had neglected to check if the entries I was putting up here were at least partial British productions. As a result several have now been transferred to the new topic. These did not include "Laura Croft Tomb Raider" (2001), "Thunderbirds" (2004) and "Sherlock Holmes" (2009) since they have have a British production component.
                      Last edited by lazarus6; 16th August 2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

But how do you decide whether something is British or non-British?
                        There are many ways to classify productions
                        Do you go by the director, cast or some other member of the crew?
                        Or where it was made?
                        The IMDb goes by the nationality of the leading production company (after all, they probably paid for it)

Steve

Comment

• lazarus6
                          lazarus6 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fair question ...but as you admit can get complex quickly. For the time being I'm using Wikipedia and IMDB to help me decide. And naturally if someone can show me good reason I will gladly move a film.
                          Last edited by lazarus6; 16th August 2017, 01:13 PM.
                      Working...
                      X