Jessy (1959) - London locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jessy (1959) - London locations

Any guesses where the London locations for this film are?

https://wellcomelibrary.org/item/b30...0&m=0&s=0&cv=0

I know the film was produced at Marylebone Studios St Johns Wood, London. so probably around there...

Jessy was played by Katia Noble, the daughter of Peter Noble and Marianne Stone, both well known to forum members...

Comment

That little girl is a dead ringer for her dad.

Comment

She'd be around 68 now if she was still alive. I feel sure that the original exhibition prints of this film would have been much clearer than this with far better sound quality. The scene in the kitchen near the beginning with those women talking was rather muffled, like a record being played with a blunt needle. It's probably been uploaded from a very poor video transfer. It would be nice to see and hear an original 35mm print transferred properly to DVD. That is if all the original negatives and prints weren't thrown in the skip decades ago.

Comment

Well here's a scene shot outside a shop with a Primrose [Hill] telephone number and what looks like a post office next door. However I'm not aware of any listings for telephone numbers in numerical order. The last 8 minutes wouldn't play for me on the Wellcome link.

Comment

It's Eve Rayna, 23 Northways Parade, College Crescent, NW3.

Comment

That would be in West Hampstead, then.

Comment

I may have to amend that for the address and phone number fit for 1954 but by 1958 Eve Rayna is not at that address in Kelly's. I don't know where she was in 1958. I think I'd call the area Swiss Cottage but West Hampstead isn't too far away.

Comment

As an aside - any idea what time of year it is - 1959 had a long dry summer which ended in downpours in September - people seem to be dressed for cool weather.

Comment

Hi Anthony, Look on: Research Notes: 'Jessy', a film about cerebral palsy' Wellcome Collection website. There are a few interesting bits of information. BBFC cert. dated 17-12-59

Comment

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
                      Hi Anthony, Look on: Research Notes: 'Jessy', a film about cerebral palsy' Wellcome Collection website. There are a few interesting bits of information. BBFC cert. dated 17-12-59
                      Are these notes from a reliable source?

Comment

Hi Anthony, They should be-they've got your name on them! Sorry

Comment

With regard to the parade and the possible Post Office I am inclined to the view that it could be Circus Road, St John's Wood with its junction to Kingsmill Terrace appearing at the dissolve (11.55) There is a slight incline in the pavement and the door steps, even to this day, despite re-development and there is still a Post Office. I have not been able to find any pictures of the site prior to re-development to confirm...or deny! However, Christopher with his Kelly's Directory might help further. Another thought, is that M G Raymond, Hand Knitwear, was at 103 St John's Wood Terrace, (Tel: PRI 4575) also with a slope in the pavement it would seem.

Comment

Originally posted by CliveT View Post
                            Hi Anthony, They should be-they've got your name on them! Sorry
                            No need to apologise - despite doing a lot more research recently I've not had anything published under my own name for a long time.

Comment

I looked at the 1954 Kelly's which lists M.G. Raymond at 103 St. John's Wood Terrace but the telephone number is PRI 8415 and clearly not the number seen in the film. Raymond is still at that address in 1958. Nobody named Raymond or Rayna is listed for Circus Road.

Comment

Working...
                              X