Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Pinewood Studios

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinewood Studios

Upstairs and Downstairs (1959) was filmed at Pinewood, and they didn't go quite as far as Wales to get to the Llandogo Garage:

Click image for larger version  Name:	vlcsnap-2018-01-05-15h08m14s566.png Views:	1 Size:	742.3 KB ID:	52210

The famous front entrance to Pinewood.
    Last edited by Gerald Lovell; 5th January 2018, 03:16 PM.

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post

The famous front entrance to Pinewood.
    The lovely Natacha and I stopped off there when we went to see Scorsese making Hugo in 2010

The actual entrance is now down the road through the new entrance

Steve

Comment

It’s not the Pinewood Studios double lodge entrance, but rather the garage that stood acroos the road until about ten years ago. Now replaced by housing called Bond Close.

Comment

Interestingly the name Llandogo Garage was used for a building (well a set anyway) in League Of Gentlemen (1960), supposedly somewhere in London. Curious co-incidence or was the sign resurrected from the props department for this film?

Comment

Interestingly the name Llandogo Garage was used for a building (well a set anyway) in League Of Gentlemen (1960), supposedly somewhere in London. Curious co-incidence or was the sign resurrected from the props department for this film?
          The film was made in part at Pinewood, and we know that they used a painting from another film in it, so reused props sounds like a decent guess. Filming is make believe, but props cost money!

Comment

• alan gowdy
            alan gowdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes L.O.G was indeed based at Pinewood and location work rarely strayed more than two or three miles from the gate. I imagine they were on a very tight budget. Still puzzled by their use of 'Llandogo' though - maybe was an in-joke.

Here's the sign at the entrance to the garage in Upstairs and Downstairs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-01-06-09h48m27s220.png
Views:	1
Size:	706.7 KB
ID:	52242

And the scene from The League of Gentlemen to which Alan refers:

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-01-06-09h53m16s918.png
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	52243

As both films were made at Pinewood, I would agree it was simply the economical use of an existing sign. I suspect Upstairs and Downstairs was made first as there is a plot reason for that part of the film being set in Wales. On the DVD commentary for Gentlemen, Bryan Forbes makes no reference to an in-joke . . . and in fact he couldn't remember the scene at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald Lovell View Post
            Here's the sign at the entrance to the garage in Upstairs and Downstairs:

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-01-06-09h48m27s220.png
Size:	706.7 KB
ID:	52242

And the scene from The League of Gentlemen to which Alan refers:

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-01-06-09h53m16s918.png
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	52243

As both films were made at Pinewood, I would agree it was simply the economical use of an existing sign. I suspect Upstairs and Downstairs was made first as there is a plot reason for that part of the film being set in Wales. On the DVD commentary for Gentlemen, Bryan Forbes makes no reference to an in-joke . . . and in fact he couldn't remember the scene at all!
            A case of 'here's one I made earlier' !!

Comment

Working...
            X