Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

A Dandy in Aspic (1968)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dandy in Aspic (1968)

1. The car containing Eberlin and Copperfield rounds a bend with Battersea Power Station visible in the background. One source on the net identifies this stretch of road as Nine Elms Road, but I’m not sure as the bend on Nine Elms Road is almost at Vauxhall. It might be Ponton Road, although due to the total redevelopment of this area it is impossible to tell.

2. The car continued through an industrial area and a company name on the side of a building is seen through the window. However, due to the door pillar it is impossible to see the full name. The top wording appears to be either IN or TN and the bottom letters are five or six in number, but only the first three COO are visible.

3 The car emerges from a junction onto a major road and a bridge is visible in the background. This could be the railway bridge on Wandsworth Road, but again the entire area has been redeveloped. If this is the railway bridge on Wandsworth Road, then it indicates that there was a road (lost to redevelopment) that connected Nine Elms Road to Wandsworth Road that no longer exists.

Is there anyone out there with local knowledge to identify what road was featured and if there was such a road in the sixties to connect Nine Elms Road to Wandsworth Road?

As always many thanks in advance for information leading to an identification.

I would say that the sign reads 'IND COOPE' the brewer and I'm pretty certain that they are driving in Nine Elms LANE in the first two shots. I haven't looked at the current street pattern but Nine Elms Lane used to end as a T-junction with Wandsworth Road. In the immediate area there were railway bridges, from south to north, over Miles Street, Parry Street and South Lambeth Road.

Comment

Christopher

Good to see you. It seems quite a while since you’ve responded to one of my location teasers, but I’m glad you have because I think you have solved it.

Looking around on the web, I have discovered that there was a brewery on Nine Elms Lane (thanks for pointing out my mistake on the street name) at number 41, which was acquired by Allied Breweries (who were formerly Ind Coope and still used this brand name) in 1964. A Dandy in Aspic was filmed during the early months of 1967 and either the Ind Coope lettering was left on the now deserted brewery, or parts of the premises were still used as warehousing space. I’m happy that the first two screengrabs are Nine Elms Lane.

Below is condensed history of the Horseshoe Brewery/Friary Meux Limited brewery on Nine Elms Lane and Ind Coope/Allied Breweries.

41 Nine Elms Lane, Nine Elms Brewery. James Farren and Joseph Till leased the Nine Elms Brewery, 1833 - 1841 after which it was acquired by John Mills Thorne with 16 public houses. He was joined by his brother Benjamin Thorne in 1861. Thorne Bros ltd was registered as a limited liability company in 1897. The brewery was built by W. H.Duffield in 1898. There was an impressive chimney and buildings decorated with the brewery name and with decorative gables. In the early 1920s this was added to by buildings on the Hennibique system. They were taken over by the Meux Tottenham Court Road based, Horseshoe Brewery in 1914 and their production was transferred here in 1921. The brewery was then renamed the Horseshoe Brewery and in 1956 the company merged with Friary, Holroyd and Healy's Breweries Ltd to form Friary Meux Limited. Production finally ceased at the Nine Elms Brewery in 1964, after Friary Meux Ltd was acquired by Allied Breweries Ltd (Ind Coope).

By the end of the 1950s Ind Coope (the Allsopp name was dropped in 1959) had accumulated a large tied estate (c. 5,200 pubs) and developed its bottled Double Diamond into a national brand. In 1961, in a move which brought together three of the ten largest UK brewers, Edward Thompson, chairman of Ind Coope, persuaded two strong but docile regional companies, Tetley Walker and Ansells, to join his dynamic national company.

The new company was by any measure easily the biggest brewer in the UK and, in terms of assets, because of its considerable property holdings, the largest brewing group in the world at the time. It had twelve breweries, owned 11 percent of the UK's pubs and through reciprocal trading agreements and the free trade, supplied 48 percent of total outlets including hotels, clubs and off-licences. The name Allied Breweries was adopted in 1963 and the company continued to expand acquiring Friary Meux, Guildford and Thomas Ramsden, Halifax in 1964.

Comment

Hello Mikey, Glad to assist. Actually I didn't have to think too much about this one for I had spent a lot time sussing it some years ago using Battersea Power Station as my starting point. I wrote it all down so I dug out my notes and there it all was. That's quite a litany of lost brewers' names.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
          I would say that the sign reads 'IND COOPE' the brewer and I'm pretty certain that they are driving in Nine Elms LANE in the first two shots. I haven't looked at the current street pattern but Nine Elms Lane used to end as a T-junction with Wandsworth Road. In the immediate area there were railway bridges, from south to north, over Miles Street, Parry Street and South Lambeth Road.
          Christopher

I've been doing more research on this and found evidence to back up what you said about Nine Elms Road originally ending in a T junction with Wandsworth Road. Having found an old street map on line of the Battersea/Vauxhall area, yes sure enough Nine Elms Road originally joined to Wandswoth just below Miles Street, but after the redevelopment it now joins further down towards Vauxhall on a crossroads opposite Parry Street.

Comment

Working...
          X