Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Law and Disorder (1958)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law and Disorder (1958)

This looks like a street which could have survived:-

With two nice unreadable street signs.

And the houses across the street.

Very distinctive building at the end of the street. I spent ages searching the south coast in vain for the location of the seaside 'retirement' location only to read in the forum that it was actually in Wales!!

Comment

I'm pretty certain that this scene is in London and it takes place before the retirement to Wales.

Comment

• CliveT
        CliveT commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Chris. To the right of the lamp post-is that a Watney's pub?

Lots of houses like this around Camden Town. All very posh now, but didn't used to be. That's where my Google-map-strolling has been today...

Comment

The DJJ registration number on the taxi is no help either. Its a London (anywhere) code. Even if the scene is out of the area (looks like clean air to me!) the number plate would have been registered by the manufacturer rather than a private saloon which would have been registered locally by the local dealer dealer.

Comment

Well here's a view in the opposite direction and it looks like another very blurry pub.

So I imagine that that's a pub in the distance, as mentioned by Alan, and certainly a pub by the lamp post, as mentioned by Clive T, but I have no idea of the brewer involved. I sort of feel that this is N1 or N7 but I could be way off.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
            Lots of houses like this around Camden Town. All very posh now, but didn't used to be. That's where my Google-map-strolling has been today...
            I have similar thoughts. Maybe near Parkway or Mornington Crescent ?

Comment

Yes, I'll gladly throw NW1 and NW5 into the mix.

Comment

Could be very wrong but the houses look all too clean and tidy for Kentish Town/Camden Town in the late 1950s. That building at the top of the street in the first grab is the best clue

Comment

What is the policeman doing left of frame in picture 1? It's partially obscured by the taxi mirror but could he be putting up a notice? He is behind a railing - might that be the front of a police station? I'm posing a lot of questions but unfortunately not providing answers to them!

Comment

Yes Tavistock the houses do look a bit on the clean side but they do look like the type of 'housing stock' you find in those areas: this clearly isn't, for example, Stepney. Alan, I can't guess as to what the policeman could be doing but I will add, and this is worth basically nothing, that a double decker bus passes in front of the building in the distance.

Comment

It's Limerston Street near Gertrude Street SW10.

Comment

sandgrounder - that's very well done, excellent work. How did you do it?

Comment

Thank Christopher. I was drawn at first to look around your suggestion of NW1 & NW5. Then I noticed the smaller terraced houses leading to the pub in the distance and decided to check the Chelsea Kings road area. Hey Presto! there it was.

Comment

• alan gowdy
                            alan gowdy commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Excellent work!

I'd typed in Chelsea to my Google map but it had all locked up and wouldn't go to streetview. Well done Sandgrounder. London is a beatiful city in parts and there is enough of it to provide hours of fun for a location spotter .
                          This seems to be as close as I can get to the view.
                          https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.48...7i13312!8i6656

Comment

Working...
                          X