Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Hammerhead (1968)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammerhead (1968)

Here are a couple of shots of a London mews from the 1968 spy movie Hammerhead. Can anyone identify the location?

As always any information gratefully accepted.

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of a London mews from the 1968 spy movie Hammerhead. Can anyone identify the location?

As always any information gratefully accepted.
    They're in London

You said any information

Steve

Comment

Groom Place SW1

Comment

Yes, that’s the side of John Drake’s house to the left of shot in the first picture.

Comment

Originally posted by sandgrounder View Post
          Groom Place SW1
          sandgrounder

You are an absolute star. Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mariocki View Post
            Yes, that’s the side of John Drake’s house to the left of shot in the first picture.
            Geoff

Thanks for the additional information regarding John Drake. I really need to spend more time on Avengerland.

Comment

These locations are going to be very difficult for anyone to identify, but as I’ve exhausted all other options I might as well give it shot here. If someone can identify these I will eat my underwear!

This is definitely Lisbon in Portugal and I’m also fairly certain that it’s the Alfama (old town) suburb, where other location filming for this film was done.

The convoy taking the Sir Richard double Andreas, played by Michael Bates, headed by the Citroen get caught up in a traffic jam partially caused by the 1939 International Harvester D-Series truck converted to a hearse (containing Charles Hood and Sue Trenton, aka Vince Edwards and Judy Geeson) and the accompanying 1951 Packard 200 saloon.

If you look closely there are some street nameplates visible in both shots, but increasing the size of the images means that these lose clarity and I’m unable to read them.

Comment

There is also a car chase in the movie where the International Harvester hearse and the Packard were chased by a police Volkswagen Beetle and a Honda motorcycle ridden by Kenneth Cope. This concludes with the hearse being completely wrecked and Vince Edwards and Judy Geeson stealing Cope’s (all three were on location) motorcycle to return to central Lisbon

I’m thinking north Lisbon, or possibly Estoril or Cascais (they are all near together) and again there is a street nameplate visible in one of the shots. I’ll also add that there was a lot of location filming for this movie in Cascais.

Comment

I can confirm Estoril is one of the locations, Mikey. Dave Prowse writes about the filming of Hammerhead in his autobiography:

Extract from 'Straight from the Force's Mouth' - Google Books

Comment

Cornershop15

Thanks for taking the time to take a look at this and for the link to the Dave Prowse book.

As Dave points out the original Hotel Estoril Sol, was situated on the coast at Cascais, but this was demolished in 2007 and replaced by the Estoril Sol Residence complex in 2010. The original hotel was the base of operations for both the cast and crew for the Portuguese location shoot, but it does not feature in the film.

The coastal hotel that does feature is the Hotel Baia and this also in Cascais and can be seen when Charles Hood drives Hammerhead’s speedboat ashore and then ran up the sand towards the hotel, before getting a taxi driver to take him up the coast.

Comment

I found a few more images of the traffic jam and the car chase.

Comment

Working...
                      X