Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Some Girls Do (1969)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Girls Do (1969)

Looking for this filming location from the second sixties Bulldog Drummond film, Some Girls Do. Initially, I thought Shell Haven Refinery, but I’ve been unable to match anything to photographs on the net and having watched Quatermass 2 (film), I’ve also been unable to match anything. I feel that filming had to take place here or at the other Shell oil refinery at Ellesmere Port, because the Shell motif is so prominent in other parts of Some Girls Do.

Can anybody identify the location?

As always any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

And there's more.

The first two featuring the white MGB appear to the same location as above.

Images three and four featuring Richard Hurndall, Nicholas Phipps and George Belbin could be the same place, but there is a distinct lack of pipes, so it might be somewhere different.

Comment

Hi Mikey, Apparently, this location was the National Gas Turbine Establishment at Farnborough. Known as "Pyestock"

Comment

Certainly looks like it:

Comment

Clive

Many thanks for sorting this one, I would have never found this. I've looked at a huge amount of images of Pyestock today and found the area where the MGB sequence was filmed and the bridge where the motorcycle leaves the site.

A great piece of detection.

Comment

Originally posted by mariocki View Post
            Certainly looks like it:
            Geoff

Cheers mate, thanks for confirming the location with the image.

Still have some locations to find for this movie and so I might be back with more screengrabs yet.

Comment

I’m back with another selection of screengrabs from Some Girls Do.

Initially the first image said Ivinghoe Beacon to me, but now I’m not sure. There are four shiny objects in the distance and I don’t know if these are structures, vehicles on a road, or a train.

Later, in the film a vintage Austin goes over a cliff and I’m thinking Betchworth Land Fill at Box Hill in Surrey, although again I’m not sure. Also there was footage shot of vehicles on narrow roads and tracks with nothing to assist in identifying the actual location.

If this later footage was filmed at Box Hill, then I started thinking could the earlier location filming have also been done in that area?

Further to this the screengrab where the MGB is towing the Austin along what appears to be a wide tarmac road make me think was any additional filming done at or near the National Gas Turbine Establishment at Farnborough, as seen in postings one and two?

Comment

Continued from previous post.

Comment

• alan gowdy
                  alan gowdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A wide paved area such as that in the second photo suggests 'airfield' to me.

• Mikey
                  Mikey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Alan

Taking your suggestion I have had a look at Wycombe Air Park that was used as a location in the movie, but turned up nothing. Likewise, I also searched Farnborough Airport (and nearby Blackbushe Airport), which was adjacent to the now mainly demolished National Gas Turbine Establishment, but again I've been unable to confirm this as the location. Having also spent many hours on Google Earth looking at Betchworth Land Fill, I can confirm that the image of the vintage Austin going over the cliff was not filmed there, as there is no building the west of the clifftop.Unfortunately, there are no landmarks or buildings in the road/track scenes previous to this to assist in identification, but I still live in hopes.

Could the picture of the old car going off the cliff be the same location that's used in Hell Drivers?

Comment

• alan gowdy
                  alan gowdy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No - it has little or no trees and no close buildings.

Originally posted by martinu View Post
                Could the picture of the old car going off the cliff be the same location that's used in Hell Drivers?
                Martin

I looked at the Hell Drivers quarry yesterday (the disused Blue Circle Cement Works, Steyning Road, Upper Beeding, West Sussex) and Alan is correct, this is not the place.

Also used Google Maps to check every quarry, sand pit and land fill in the south of England used in Doctor Who and Blake's 7 and still no success.

Then thinking logically, I thought if I were producing a film based at Pinewood Studios where would I go to do a scene like this? My obvious choice would be Springwell Chalk Pit, less than two miles from the studio. Unfortunately, this failed to be correct as well.

The building seen in the background is the thing missing from all the quarries I looked at and now I'm starting to wonder if the location was/is a quarry.

Baffled at the moment and open to other avenues of research.

Comment

The towing picture definitely looks like an airfield and if so, then I’d be looking at disused ones rather than ones that were active at the time of filming as it would be difficult to schedule a shoot if planes were still landing there. The usual suspects like Bovingdon and Radlett might be worth checking.

Comment

Seems like a very old movie is this movie available online on internet ? By the way, I don't know anything about this location.

Comment

Originally posted by mariocki View Post
                      The towing picture definitely looks like an airfield and if so, then I’d be looking at disused ones rather than ones that were active at the time of filming as it would be difficult to schedule a shoot if planes were still landing there. The usual suspects like Bovingdon and Radlett might be worth checking.
                      Geoff

Thanks for taking a look at this.

I had a look at Bovingdon several days ago on Google Earth and things did not match and I don't remember many internal roads when I was there on the runways several years ago.

Radlett has undergone many changes since the sixties and although the runways have gone you can still see where they were. There are some internal roads at Radlett and I need to check them out some more.

Failing this, from previous research I know there a great many disused (and for that matter still in use) aerodromes and it could be a long process of looking at all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by alexkevin View Post
                        Seems like a very old movie is this movie available online on internet ? By the way, I don't know anything about this location.
                        Alex

If you look no further than You Tube, you'll find it.

Comment

Hey Mikey thank for your response okay I will search for it on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                          X