Randall and Hopkirk - fairground location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall and Hopkirk - fairground location

Last scene from 'Somebody Just Walked Over My Grave' - Obviously footage from a film - but any idea which?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture-00041.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	74938

It is followed by this shot - the ride we see is probably a flying chairs/chair-o-plane.

The van in the foreground suggests a traveling fair.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture-00042.jpg Views:	4 Size:	133.4 KB ID:	74940
    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 24th July 2019, 06:16 AM.

Comment

That roller coaster looks fake - a drawing?

Comment

Tony

This image looks like a mixture of live action and a matte painting. Although there are people moving inside the Scenic Railway Ride structure, I believe that both this and the roller coaster are the matte that was optically printed into the footage.

The people and fairground could have been a set, although that does not explain the turning Ferris Wheel to the left, which incidentally does not look like the one that was at Battersea Fun Fair during the sixties and early seventies. I take it that you have checked out The Baron episode Epitaph for a Hero and agree with me that none of this image is Battersea Fun Fair. Likewise, I have had at look at sixties photographs of the funfair at Southend-on-Sea and this also does match up to the first image.

I tend to agree that this could well be existing footage, so perhaps take a look at films produced by the Associated British Film Corporation at Elstree Studios during the sixties. As Randall and Hopkirk was based at this studio, I would have thought that the production would have had access to their film library for this kind of material.

As for the prop sign, Underground Record, this could have been nailed into position at any travelling fair.

Comment

As for the prop sign, Underground Record, this could have been nailed into position at any travelling fair.

An early David Blaine stunt?

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony McKay View Post
            Last scene from 'Somebody Just Walked Over My Grave' - Obviously footage from a film - but any idea which?

Name:	Capture-00041.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	74938
            Pete of nzpetesmatteshot.blogspot.com has identified this as a matte shot from 'State Fair' (1945)

Comment

Tony

This raises the question of why footage from a 20th Century Fox movie was used in ITC film series. I would have thought under the circumstances that Scoton who produced Randall and Hopkirk would have first consulted the Associated British Picture Corporation's film library, which was presumably held at Elstree Studios where the series was based. If this did not provide any suitable material then use Associated British Picture Corporation's working relationship with Warner Brothers to access their film library. If that approach failed then check out all other British based film libraries and if that proved unsuccessful, look further afield to the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                Tony

This raises the question of why footage from a 20th Century Fox movie was used in ITC film series. I would have thought under the circumstances that Scoton who produced Randall and Hopkirk would have first consulted the Associated British Picture Corporation's film library, which was presumably held at Elstree Studios where the series was based. If this did not provide any suitable material then use Associated British Picture Corporation's working relationship with Warner Brothers to access their film library. If that approach failed then check out all other British based film libraries and if that proved unsuccessful, look further afield to the USA.
                I've had a look through the film and this particular shot appears to be unused - the same side-shows and other features appear in night-time shots and long-shots, but not this particular shot.

It looks like it was intended as an establishing shot just before this..

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	75544
                Last edited by Anthony McKay; 3rd August 2019, 10:34 PM.

Comment

In that case I wonder if Fox flogged the unused footage off to a film library. By the late sixties the Hollywood studios were in dire financial straits and selling off whatever they could. Fox had been kept afloat by the huge success of The Sound of Music but its attempts to repeat the success resulted in financial disastera such as Star! and the dreadful Darling Lili.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony McKay View Post

I've had a look through the film and this particular shot appears to be unused - the same side-shows and other features appear in night-time shots and long-shots, but not this particular shot.

It looks like it was intended as an establishing shot just before this..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	4 Size:	130.4 KB ID:	75544
                    There is a very sudden jump to this scene in the current version of the film - it is possible, if this is the start of a reel, that the footage was cut recently because of damage to the print.

It is also this scene that starts the 'State Fair' trailer currently on YouTube - so it is possible that the missing matte shot was pinched from a version of the trailer - I'm sure that there were a lot of old trailers on the shelves the stock-footage archives.
                    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 4th August 2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Matte reinstated

Last edited by Anthony McKay; 8th August 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Fryer View Post
                        In that case I wonder if Fox flogged the unused footage off to a film library. By the late sixties the Hollywood studios were in dire financial straits and selling off whatever they could. Fox had been kept afloat by the huge success of The Sound of Music but its attempts to repeat the success resulted in financial disastera such as Star! and the dreadful Darling Lili.
                        Ian/Tony

20th Century Fox selling off the footage to a film library seems logical.

Likewise, Dennis Spooner of Scoton telephoning film libraries and asking if they have any fairground footage he could use for an establishing shot.

Comment

After all these years it's good that new infomation can still be found about these sixties ITC shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Fryer View Post
                            Darling Lili may be dreadful but don't blame Fox, it was a Paramount film.

Comment

• Ian Fryer
                              Ian Fryer commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Oops! I made the daft assumption that Julie Andrews was under contract to Fox.
                          Working...
                          X