Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

I Vinti (1953)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Vinti (1953)

The film has featured scenes in EC4, N4, E4, W1 and SW1 and then we see this view which is obviously not EC4, W1 or SW1 and could just as easily not be N4 or E4. The view sort of reminds me of some hilly streets I recall around Crouch End but there are plenty of hilly bits of London. The second view is presented as if it shows the right hand side of the street but there are plenty of cuts to mess up the continuity. Later scenes in the film show Carshalton Road/High Street Sutton, SM1 along with some SW7 and Kingston, KT1.

Christopher, it does look like Nelson Rd/Inderwick Rd in Crouch End although I'd expect to see Ally Pally in the background.

Comment

Reminds me of the Selhurst Park area (near the footie ground)...

Comment

Going off Tavistocks hint. The left pic looks like Denton Road near Ridge Road N8.

Comment

Well I'm glad I suggested 'around Crouch End' and that tavistock came up with a solid suggestion and that sandgrounder certainly appears to have nailed it. Sadly the view from his window appear to be a different location. Anyway many thanks, sandgrounder, once again.

Comment

I did some preliminary work on this segment of the film a few years back, and never got round to finishing it, but from that I suspect it's more out Cheam way than within London itself.

The cinema where Aubrey picks up his victim is what was the Curzon on Cheam Road (demolished in 1969), and he later leads her onto Banstead Common at the junction of Brighton Road and Downs Road, but they are then seen walking on the edge of Banstead Downs Gold Club on the other side of the railway tracks. The actual murder takes place back on Banstead Common, and the precise location - the exposed chalk hillocks in the bushes - is clearly visible on the Google Maps satellite view.
            Last edited by Nick Cooper; 21st September 2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for you input Nick. I'm pretty liberal on what I call 'London' and use the old GLC boundary as my limit no matter when a film was made. I found The Curzon cinema location some years ago and that's clearly in the London Borough of Sutton. I'd also discovered the Banstead Downs locations but they fall, just, outside of the London boundary. Anyway, wherever the locations are it's a very interesting view of the 'London area' and I really wonder how Antonioni, who was presumably only in London briefly, ever discovered so many way off the beaten track locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
                ... that's clearly in the London Borough of Sutton. ... but they fall, just, outside of the London boundary.
                The London Borough of Sutton is in London.
                London has grown (& keeps growing)
                I live in Morden which is outside the SW19 (& similar) postal districts but is in the London Borough of Merton but out postal address (when they use counties) is "Morden, Surrey"
                Actually the Royal Mail gave up using counties some years ago
                I describe myself as living in South West London

Steve

Comment

Had someone, certainly not me, implied that the 'London Borough of Sutton' wasn't in London? I had, however, made it crystal clear that Banstead Downs are 'just, outside of the London boundary.' My message was very clear as to what is and isn't in London. And as far as I can tell London isn't growing bigger, for the boundary appears to be set by the existing 'London Boroughs' but I imagine (I'm no expert) it's probably getting more populated.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Matheson View Post
                    Had someone, certainly not me, implied that the 'London Borough of Sutton' wasn't in London? I had, however, made it crystal clear that Banstead Downs are 'just, outside of the London boundary.' My message was very clear as to what is and isn't in London. And as far as I can tell London isn't growing bigger, for the boundary appears to be set by the existing 'London Boroughs' but I imagine (I'm no expert) it's probably getting more populated.
                    I used to live in Morden, Surry. Now I live in the London Borough of Merton.

I haven't moved

Steve

Comment

Presumably yet another London location with long walkways apparently bridging large subterranean areas.

Comment

Working...
                      X