To Catch a Spy (1971)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Catch a Spy (1971)

Sorry about the fuzzy image but this film seems impossible to find in a good print. Immediately after this shot there are scenes in Brompton Road and at Harrods and I suppose this 'could' be somewhere near there. The woman with red gloves in on steps up from the park while the woman, with shopping, is walking on a pathway next to the park. Does anyone recognise this?

Could it be Holland Park?

Comment

I've drawn a blank, the only possibly relevant location I've pinpointed is this one of the kids playing field-

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/to-catch-a-spy/

The field is owned by Westminster School (in walking distance) but i've had no success tracing their possible route from the school to the field on google earth because there are lots of trees cluttering up the aerial view. Also they might have detoured to Brompton Road and Harrods en route to the field?
      Here's the opening sequence, a sharper print would allow us to read that notice board and perhaps get a clue from it to pinpoint the exact spot of the steps..
      (PS- I've just ordered the DVD on Amazon (delivery date June 5th) and will let you know if it offers clearer clues)

https://youtu.be/OwgkFFO_73A

Last edited by Eyeball; 25th May 2020, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Is somebody on here psychic ?

I was only thinking about this film last week and trying to find the Scottish locations.

It's not been on tv for ages. It was shown quite a lot over a few years in the early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by ps68060 View Post
          Is somebody on here psychic ?
          I was only thinking about this film last week and trying to find the Scottish locations.
          It's not been on tv for ages. It was shown quite a lot over a few years in the early 80s.
          To add to the confusion the film had 3 different titles in different countries (wonder why on earth they do that?)
          A couple of scottish locations are mentioned on Wiki, quote-

It was also part filmed on Loch Awe and Loch Etive, Scotland, where the gunboat scenes were filmed, and featured Kirk Douglas running through a herd of Highland cattle which were owned by David Fellowes. It was also released as Catch Me a Spy and Keep Your Fingers Crossed.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Catch_a_Spy

Comment

UPDATE- the DVD arrived today but the graphic quality is hardly any better than the youtube version, grrr..
            Nevertheless, I could just make out the words 'Holy Trinity' on the noticeboard above Marlene's head so at least that's some progress, I'll google-view around the churches in the area to see if I recognise anything, and I've also got a few other cards up my sleeve to play.
            i'll also try to pin down google earth views of the scottish locations..

(PS- please send out search parties if i don't make it back in a reasonable time; I hear there are bizarre predatory creatures stalking the highlands)

Last edited by Eyeball; 29th May 2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Holy Trinity is spot on its Ennismore Gardens Mews

Comment

Originally posted by DocRobertPepper View Post
                Holy Trinity is spot on its Ennismore Gardens Mews
                HALLELUJAH you've cracked it mate..

Hi Marlene ma cherie..

But where are you now my love? (sniffle)

The Holy Trinity church is on the left, and the two GE pics above were taken from X looking in the direction of the arrows-

The spot (far left) is a good one-and-a-half miles from the playing fields (right), dunno if they walked all the way or took a bus-

Comment

Many thanks for the interest shown in my original post. I 've now looked at my fuzzy old dvd again and I guess, now that I know what it reads, I can talk myself into seeing that it reads 'Holy Trinity'. But I would never have got it on my own, so many thanks. Here are some shots of a house that features on several occasions, presumably in that SW3, 5, 7 and 10 area. The shot out from the house shows a somewhat unusual central strip up the middle of the street.

Comment

Thanks for the 'unusual central strip' Christopher, 37 Pont Street, SW1. Pick your way through the scaffolding on Google Earth.

Comment

Beat me to it Foxfield
                      37 Pont Street, SW1 it is

Comment

For fun I've just compiled these few more location shots from a mix of youtube vids, stock internet pics and GE..

Shot from the footbridge below Loch Awe Hotel-

Loch Awe Hotel-

A shot looking from the battlements of ruined Kilchurn Castle-
                        Last edited by Eyeball; Yesterday, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Foxfields, many thanks for the identification. You have probably noticed by now that you can eliminate the scaffolding by changing the street view date. I also noticed my 'unusual central strip' was not central at all but actually forms one side of Pont Street with this meaning that the address of the house used in the film is actually 37 Cadogan Square. And here is my final location query, and I think this is somewhat tougher than my earlier questions.

Comment

Working...
                          X