Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DocRobertPepper View Post
    I truly hate people who take credit for other peoples work i spent a long time trying to find this location just for someone else to send messages and photos to another website (Reelstreet) and claim that they and some other person ive never heard of have found it
    this is a quote fronm Reelstreets
    " From the dogged determination of Adrian with the tenacious support of Gordon Thomson via unknown avenues and contacts we learn that this is St. Mary's at Winkfield, Berkshire."
    what a bloody insult
    That’s happened to me as well with a Day of The Jackal find a few years ago on the previous version of this forum. I assume the claimant for the Lawrence of Arabia driveway find on Reelstreets is the same finder on here?
    Last edited by Harryshand; 27 July 2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DocRobertPepper View Post
      I truly hate people who take credit for other peoples work i spent a long time trying to find this location just for someone else to send messages and photos to another website (Reelstreet) and claim that they and some other person ive never heard of have found it
      this is a quote fronm Reelstreets
      " From the dogged determination of Adrian with the tenacious support of Gordon Thomson via unknown avenues and contacts we learn that this is St. Mary's at Winkfield, Berkshire."
      what a bloody insult
      I have never claimed to anyone, anywhere, that I discovered the location. What I will claim is that I initiated this latest and successful search by being put in contact with Gordon Thomson who then seems to have summoned his own troops connected to this website. I was going to Hever Castle yesterday (a 300-mile round trip) and it made sense to quickly visit a few nearby locations, including Winkfield and Betchworth.

I merely set in motion a search for something I couldn't find myself. We all have our occasional failures . . . Anyway, I'll see what I can do.
      Last edited by AdrianTurner; 28 July 2020, 04:43 AM.

Comment

I thought the Reel Streets credit a bit odd - but they have been in touch with me and will sort this out.

But in the end it was DocRobertPepper who solved the riddle and should get the full credit.
        Last edited by Anthony McKay; 28 July 2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

I didn't find it, just took the clues from others hints and tried looking at Google Earth. And Sandgrounder got there first for several of those locations. The only locations I can possibly lay claim to have re-discovered come from my, then, local knowledge of the Shropshire countryside and the clues given in the VHS "Hollywood Come to Shropshire" for the Powell and Pressburger film of Mary Webb's "Gone to Earth".

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Dando View Post
            I didn't find it, just took the clues from others hints and tried looking at Google Earth. And Sandgrounder got there first for several of those locations. The only locations I can possibly lay claim to have re-discovered come from my, then, local knowledge of the Shropshire countryside and the clues given in the VHS "Hollywood Come to Shropshire" for the Powell and Pressburger film of Mary Webb's "Gone to Earth".
            Thanks for the clarification - I'll delete that comment.
            Last edited by Anthony McKay; 28 July 2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I've just heard back from Reel Streets - a very nice reply - I hope that the actions taken will be to everybody's satisfaction.

Comment

Err no not really as they are crediting Britmovie with no names included
                im now very apprehensive about carrying on with any other location spotting

Comment

• Harryshand
                  Harryshand commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There’s a proper tribute on RS now Doc.

Doc

Hopefully as one of the true talented location people here at BritMovie you won't stop contributing to location spotting, but I do see your point regarding what has happened.

Comment

Thank you for everyones support on this
                  left a nasty taste but it wont put me off in future
                  i will be more careful about telling other sites about my finds

Comment

I was wondering if anyone would like to have a go at this location (see YouTube clip) - which I assume was from 'The Case of the Upside-Down Room' (Holmes and Watson are carrying umbrellas when they arrive at the room)

The BNA has an article about filming at "Headstone Road, Harrow' - but there is nothing like this there now and there does not seem to have been anything like it then. Looks like a row of Victorian middle-class semi-detached homes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	92862

https://youtu.be/5zkMURezLWc?t=938
                    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 8 August 2020, 02:39 AM.

Comment

All the reliable info leads to Hampstead being the location for Holmes and Watson arriving at the 'Upside-Down Room.' The steps in the shot certainly match up with Hampstead, where I lived and worked for several years in the early 1970s, but I can't be specific. There is a similar set of steps in the recent movie, Hampstead, with Diane Keaton.

Comment

The steps look to be those shown at Reelstreets - Les Bicyclettes de Belsize, capture 41:

https://www.reelstreets.com/films/bi...e-belsize-les/

E.

Comment

I'm thinking it must be here - Back Lane, Hampstead.

There is a photo from the top of the steps here:

https://www.annakrauze.co.uk/home/20...g-in-hampstead

So here is my guess:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	92877

Comment

These are the steps in 'Sherlock Holmes' - the building top left is clearly the same as that in the scene from Les Bicyclettes de Belsize (cf post 42)

E.

Comment

Yes Euryale, you are right - 'Capture 41' on the Reel Streets page - I was thinking the house and steps I had found was on 'Back Lane' when it is Streatley Place off Back Lane.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	110.5 KB ID:	92898

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.3 KB ID:	92899
                              Last edited by Anthony McKay; 8 August 2020, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X