www.newspapers.com - free access this weekend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• www.newspapers.com - free access this weekend

A very useful resource for researchers is available for free this weekend - starting now.

Download good images and so-so pdfs of mainly American newspapers.
    Last edited by Anthony McKay; 17th June 2019, 07:50 PM.

Thanks for the heads-up, that's really useful. The site has The Guardian and The Observer, which is extremely handy.

Comment

Many thanks, Anthony. Only a few hours left now to take advantage of this generous offer!

I saved as many PDF pages as I could from a 'free trial' only two weeks ago and have had an equally fruitful (and frantic) time with this opportunity. It's inevitable that I'll have to pay for future sessions but I don't think I can afford more than two subscriptions at the moment.

The top priority is UKPressOnline, which used to include copies of both the Daily Mirror and Express. When my subscription to the latter expired last week, I discovered they no longer held the Mirror issues. I eventually found, via a Google search, that an exact replica exists at The British Newspaper Archive. A great relief (and I can't wait to gain access) but I wish it had stayed where it was, at UKPressOnline. Another site I registered with, for six months last year, was newspaperarchive.com. So much to cope with and so little time/money.

The scans are of variable quality at all these sites. However, I did chance upon one periodical at newspapers.com that has a consistently high standard with each edition I look at - The Dayton Daily News (Ohio). Here are a couple of sample articles, featuring Peter McEnery and Susan Hampshire in The Fighting Prince of Donegal and Sean Connery and Honor Blackman in Goldfinger:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Peter McEnery and Susan Hampshire and Sean Connery and Honor Blackman in the Dayton Daily News.jpg Views:	11 Size:	125.5 KB ID:	72443

Remarkably, all four stars are still alive at the time of writing, more than fifty years later.

If you find this, Robert, I hope this link to a two-page Rita Tushingham article works:

The Dayton Daily News, 10th October1965, pages 144 and 145
      Last edited by cornershop15; 9th June 2019, 10:44 PM. Reason: Improved poor writing.

Comment

British Newspaper Archive - also contains the 'The Stage' and 'Illustrated London News' which are also very useful - 12.95 for a month means I can dive in every year or so.

Comment

• cornershop15
          cornershop15 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gosh. Didn't know they had those as well. Thanks again. I subscribed to The Stage's archive for a month each time a few years ago. On the last occasion I had to order by telephone, which I found difficult. I lost interest after that. Good to know I can do it the preferred way this time.

Portforlio (formerly Yooniq Images) has a lovely collection of ILN covers, and even some fashion pages.

Thanks for the information Tony

Spent a lot of time on newspapers.com this weekend. It was just too good an opportunity to miss. Found a lot of good solid information.

Comment

I was on the site for much of yesterday, and very useful indeed it was, too.

It's surprising what you can find on the same page as the thing you were actually looking for. Here's Nancy Banks-Smith's Guardian review of Where Else Could I Go?, the opening episode of Callan's third series in 1970.

Comment

Over the years I've been trying to get every tv and cinema listing page out of the Daily Express and Daily Mirror and have accumulated 33,000 pages so far. Have an ongoing subscription to Newspapers.com. The BFI have every copy of The Monthly Film Bulletin and Sight and Sound on line with their subscription to same.

What I would really love to get my paws on would be Time Out or What's On in London archives. A few years ago it was announced that the Time Out archive was going to be available through The Museum of London website - but no show so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Wearysloth View Post
              Over the years I've been trying to get every tv and cinema listing page out of the Daily Express and Daily Mirror and have accumulated 33,000 pages so far. Have an ongoing subscription to Newspapers.com. The BFI have every copy of The Monthly Film Bulletin and Sight and Sound on line with their subscription to same.

What I would really love to get my paws on would be Time Out or What's On in London archives. A few years ago it was announced that the Time Out archive was going to be available through The Museum of London website - but no show so far.
              Tony

Several years ago I spent months exchanging emails with senior people at the British Library, suggesting that they put all their film industry magazines into an on-line archive and charge a small fee for access to cover the cost of doing it. Unfortunately, they showed little interest and their final word was as a government supported body they did not need to generate funding in such a manner. To which I replied that it was about providing a service and the funding it generated should be considered as a fringe benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony McKay View Post
                British Newspaper Archive - also contains the 'The Stage' and 'Illustrated London News' which are also very useful - 12.95 for a month means I can dive in every year or so.
                Some UK Public Libraries offer free access to British Newspaper Archive - for those members based in the UK it's worth checking out. Generally you have to be in the library to use it, which is a shame. I know Barnsley Library gives access, but not Leeds. EDIT - Oooh, I've just seen the Bradford Libraries has it, too! That's a lot closer to me.
                Last edited by Ian Fryer; 16th June 2019, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Has there been any word from newspapers.com about the outcome of their recent free trial? They must have made a note of the number of visits and (presumably) vastly increased downloads that weekend. Just wondering ... What I'd really like to see is the option of paying £10 for one week's access, save as much as I can, and in my spare time crop/fine-tune my favourite discoveries for the next six months before subscribing again.

Before Anthony revealed they have The Stage, I'd already made my mind up to commit, for a much lengthier period, to the British Newspaper Archive, as well as UKPressOnline simply because it now contains the Daily Mirror scans, but this is a fantastic added bonus and will make the £75 even better value.

This hasn't been mentioned here I don't think but you can sometimes find "free clippings" at newspapers.com via actors' Wikipedia pages. Here is one example:

Victoria Shaw obituary (The Sydney Morning Herald)

I also found some 'teaser' articles at The Guardian's site earlier. A page that includes original coverage of the 1966 World Cup:

World Cup is stolen while 300 Methodists sing (21st March 1966)

That came about via a Google Images search for a poster that appears in The Frozen Dead (train station scene).
                  Last edited by cornershop15; 17th June 2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X