Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Life and Films of Carol Reed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life and Films of Carol Reed

Click image for larger version  Name:	Front bw inkinc.jpg Views:	1 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	47598gClick image for larger version  Name:	carol orson.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	47597Click image for larger version  Name:	crop back.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	47594
    New book available from Amazon - time to reassess the career of Carol Reed. Book size 8" x 10". 298 pages. Illustrated. £ 12.00. $ 15.00.
    Last edited by charlie kane; 26th November 2017, 09:44 PM.

I already have these two and they're very comprehensive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAROL REED BOOK 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	47736Click image for larger version

Name:	CAROL REED BOOK 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	47737

Comment

I wonder if this new person has newly-uncovered facts or merely 'reassessing' his life and films according to 21st century fads.

Comment

Well, it can't be just a re-hash of what's in the other biographies, so I guess there must be something new in it.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
          Well, it can't be just a re-hash of what's in the other biographies, so I guess there must be something new in it.
          Why can't it be?
          "If you just copy from one source, that's plagiarism. But if you copy from two (or more) sources, that's research"
          (Old adage, often cited by film sudies people )

Steve

Comment

I suppose it's possible to copy something from an already published book and re-arrange and re-write it so that it says the same thing in a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenburnfan View Post
              I suppose it's possible to copy something from an already published book and re-arrange and re-write it so that it says the same thing in a different way.
              Not only possible but surprisingly common

Steve

Comment

These two books were published in 1990 and 2005, so high time Carol Reed's work was brought to the fore once again. I haven't read the Evans book but Nicholas Wapshott's is a fine biography of Reed which, however, doesn't deal with the individual films in as much depth as the book by 'this new person' whose recent books have covered the entire careers of Michael Powell and Robert Hamer.

Comment

I wonder if this new £12 volume will delve into Trevor Howard's misbehaviour in Ceylon, the choosing of 'Kerima' and Evelyn Waugh, the 'uneasiness' felt by Wendy Hiller and the suppressed unpleasantnesses with Diana Wynyard?

Comment

Originally posted by charlie kane View Post
                    Nicholas Wapshott's is a fine biography of Reed which, however, doesn't deal with the individual films in as much depth as the book by 'this new person' whose recent books have covered the entire careers of Michael Powell and Robert Hamer.
                    Nicholas Wapshott also produced the recent “Thelma and Michael: Love in the Cutting Room” on BBC Radio4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07z6w01

what’s he written about the entire career of Michael Powell though? I can’t find that

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
                      Nicholas Wapshott also produced the recent “Thelma and Michael: Love in the Cutting Room” on BBC Radio4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07z6w01

what’s he written about the entire career of Michael Powell though? I can’t find that

Steve
                      Read my post again. I didn''t say that Nicholas Wapshott had written about Michael Powell- so far as I know, he hasn't. I was referring to the rather unkindly labelled 'new person.'
                      Last edited by charlie kane; 28th November 2017, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
                        I wonder if this new £12 volume will delve into Trevor Howard's misbehaviour in Ceylon, the choosing of 'Kerima' and Evelyn Waugh, the 'uneasiness' felt by Wendy Hiller and the suppressed unpleasantnesses with Diana Wynyard?
                        If you're looking for tittle tattle, then this probably isn't the book for you although, yes, the casting of Kerima is covered, as is the bogus publicity campaign surrounding her. But why so much negativity about a well-intentioned book that none of you have actually read yet ?

Comment

Read my post again. I didn''t say that Nicholas Wapshott had written about Michael Powell- so far as I know, he hasn't. I was referring to the rather unkindly labelled 'new person.'
                          Who is that then? Can you name them?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Who is that then? Can you name them?

Steve
                            Are we playing games here ? Clearly I am the author of the Carol Reed book, as well as the Michael Powell and Robert Hamer - but then you knew that already, didn't you ?

Comment

Are we playing games here ? Clearly I am the author of the Carol Reed book, as well as the Michael Powell and Robert Hamer - but then you knew that already, didn't you ?
                              No games here, but I don't know you under the name 'charlie kane', are you really James in heavy disguise?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X