Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Life and Films of Carol Reed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post
    No games here, but I don't know you under the name 'charlie kane', are you really James in heavy disguise?

    Steve
    Odd - you responded to me directly when the Michael Powell book came out but, yes, I am that man.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by charlie kane View Post

      Odd - you responded to me directly when the Michael Powell book came out but, yes, I am that man.
      I can reply to a comment without knowing details of who that person is

      So who is the real 'charlie kane' that you are presumably named after?

      I never know why people don't use their real names on forums like this

      Steve

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

        I can reply to a comment without knowing details of who that person is

        So who is the real 'charlie kane' that you are presumably named after?

        I never know why people don't use their real names on forums like this

        Steve
        Thought that might be the case although, as I said, when the Michael Powell book went up under 'Charlie Kane' (Orson Welles' character in Citizen Kane), you responded straightaway, asking how it differed from my first MP book. I went for an assumed name largely because I noted that many others did. How do we know your name is really Steve Crook ?

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by charlie kane View Post

          Thought that might be the case although, as I said, when the Michael Powell book went up under 'Charlie Kane' (Orson Welles' character in Citizen Kane), you responded straightaway, asking how it differed from my first MP book. I went for an assumed name largely because I noted that many others did. How do we know your name is really Steve Crook ?
          Look at my birth certificate

          Would anyone dream up a fake name like “Crook”? I’m used to all of the jokes and “funny” comments (I’ve heard them all before). I had to hear them all through school, college and then through decades of work

          Be brave, be different, use your real name like you do on your books

          When I responded before I would have been responding to the name Michael Powell, not Charlie Kane

          I deal with so many thousands of people about Powell & Pressburger I have trouble remembering all of their real names, let alone any made up names as well. I’m now an old geezer, the memory isn’t what it was

          Steve

          Comment


          • #20
            I think it's fair enough to have a 're-assessment' if there's newly-uncovered information. The 1994 biography suppressed a great deal.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by jamal.nazreddin View Post
              I think it's fair enough to have a 're-assessment' if there's newly-uncovered information. The 1994 biography suppressed a great deal.
              Nobody's arguing with that IF it contains newly-uncovered information

              Too many film based "biographies" are just a rehash of earlier publications

              Steve

              Comment


              • #22
                Still somewhat bewildered at the negativity surrounding this - I'd have thought that a group whose raison d'etre was an interest in British cinema might have at least shown a glimmer of welcome for a well-researched and well-intentioned book which aims to reinstate Carol Reed as one of Britain's greatest film-makers. Talk of plagiarism and a suggestion that the book is nothing but a rehash - all coming from people who have yet to read the thing - are both disappointing and unjustified but, to clarify, as my initial post said: 'time to reassess the career of Carol Reed.' This is not a hatchet job or a dig the dirt volume - even if there were any dirt to be found on a man about whom no-one seems to have had a bad word. There is a strong biographical element to the book which, however, focusses largely on his work in considerably greater detail than Nicholas Wapshott's biography. I can't speak for the Evans book since I haven't read it, but a new perspective 12 years after the last book on the subject does not seem excessive.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I can't find the reference but I remember the genius Virginia Woolf saying something about biographies of great people needing to be revised (or reassessed) in every generation.

                  I guess she said that in the 1910s when her generation were metamorphosing and shedding the culture and morality of the Victorian age.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X