Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

British Film Stills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Film Stills

I have over 500 stills in my collection.Mainly front of house stills,which alas are no more.This first one is from the last Crazy Gang film,Life Is A Circus,which was a not very good remake of Alfs Button Afloat

As you wrote it is a shame they don't use these anymore, I remember looking at these as I went to school and they were the first thing to interest me in the film. Now we have trailers that give the films ending away, case in point the new Mummy film with Tom Cruise.

Comment

Front of House stills were always great. One of the things that I remember... they were often (usually? always?) taken by the on-set stills photographer, and weren't stills from the film. This meant that sometimes you could see scenes that weren't in the film. Sometimes they included crew and equipment. Some would be printed with the detailed captions and credits on the border to the photograph, while sometimes you can get just a borderless still, which can be difficult to identify.

Comment

I recall The Empress Cinema, Sutton Coldfield, and getting to know the guy that changed all the Stills each week. I aquired quite a few, and just let some go: "The Flesh Is Weak" was one. Black & White of course. Also I had "Happy Is The Bride". Wonderful glossy photographs from National Screen I remember. kelp.

Comment

Check out my guide to (mainly P&P) stills at:
          http://www.powell-pressburger.org/Im...ollecting.html

there are a LOT of reprints offered for sale as originals.

it often is an original reprint

Steve

Comment

As far as I know original.I have a still from AMOLAD on my wall and I believe it was printed on special wartime paper.Some have the distributors name and address on the back.Now how can I get in touch with RKO Radio to see if they still want their stills returned?

Comment

I used to buy a lot of stills in The Cinema Bookshop in Great Russell Street off the Tottenham Court Road.I wonder if anyone else remembers it.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                As far as I know original.I have a still from AMOLAD on my wall and I believe it was printed on special wartime paper.Some have the distributors name and address on the back.
                That's usually the best way to tell an original from a reproduction, the originals all have the stamp on the back and often have a paper "snipe" stuck on the back as well (although they sometimes fall off)

how can I get in touch with RKO Radio to see if they still want their stills returned?
                What makes you think that they'll want them back?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                  I used to buy a lot of stills in The Cinema Bookshop in Great Russell Street off the Tottenham Court Road.I wonder if anyone else remembers it.
                  Yes, I went in there a lot, and bought many books from them. I believe its turned in to a coffee shop now. Doesn't the address have a blue plaque ?. Something about a bloke called Charles Dickens.

Comment

Most of my town has turned into coffee shops now. Hairdressers and coffee shops are the only commercial businesses that you can't do better online. Charity shops make up the difference, but there are too many closures and empty shops. The town centres are going to disappear completely in a few years time.

The film poster and stills shop that I shopped at was on Brewer Street, just up from the Piccadilly Theatre. But that was way back in the 80s.

Comment

I remember as a kid ogling the stills from Where No Vultures Fly at the Gaumont Finchley which made the film look so good, and how disappointed I was when I saw the actual film.

Comment

Well here is a still from a familiar film.Could be subtitled "War starts at midnight".It is an original

Comment

We used to get a few stills from darrenburn fan but we dont seem to hear from him these days. I hope he's ok.

Comment

This is from the Ealing film Against The Wind.Jack Warner playing against type.

Comment

Coming Soon:The £20000 Kiss.
                              Next week actually to Talking Pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X