Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Bargain New books on amazon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargain New books on amazon

I have recently found on Amazon New sellers who are selling new books at bargain prices.All in the US.For example Dawn of Technicolor currently £69 bought for £35.Biography of Charley Chase bought for £19.Tonight I bought the new biography of Ruby Keeler for £6 as against £24 and Sid Lifts book about Judy Garland for £6 as against £14.
    All very welcome when there are so many books over £30 which I would like to read but I will not pay that sort of money for most books.

Amazon new and Used can be very useful - but because Amazon isn't always the cheapest (although it often is) or might not have a copy of something available, I often use this website: http://www.addall.com/

As you can see, US based, but you can select the shipping destination and currency. Generally Amazon comes up cheapest, but your not limited to just the UK ones, and you have Abebooks etc as well.

Comment

BookpricecomparisonUK is an excellent price comparison site for the UK.cheapest prices are not always on Amazon

Comment

I use the Advanced Book Exchange at https://www.abebooks.com/ They act as a clearing house for second hand booksellers around the world. Whenever someone's got a book to sell they can advertise it on ABE then the first person who sees it can buy it. You can either buy it through ABE (for a very small percentage to help pay for ABE) or you can buy it directly from the seller.

You can can set up a "Watch List" of books you're looking for and they'll email you whenever anyone offers one of them for sale.

if there's any problem with the edition or the condition they offer a returns policy.

I've hundreds of books through them and have only once had a problem with a book I ordered from South Africa. It wasn't as advertised. As soon as I complained to the seller they refunded my money and told me to keep the book rather than bother to send it back to SA.

Steve

Comment

I never received Dawn of Technicolor and I had to order the Ruby Keeler book no less than 4 times.So if someone is offering a new or pricey book at very much less than its asking price,then do beware,particularly if they are a new seller

Comment

Finally got the Ruby Keeler book today.4th time of asking.If a book is unusually low in price check the sellers feedback first.
            I Am still waiting for a book I ordered on 21st May.Seller doesn't reply to emails so I have to wait till 17th to get my money back.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
              Finally got the Ruby Keeler book today.4th time of asking.If a book is unusually low in price check the sellers feedback first.
              I Am still waiting for a book I ordered on 21st May.Seller doesn't reply to emails so I have to wait till 17th to get my money back.
              Where are you trying to buy it from?
              Have you tried ABEbooks?

Steve

Comment

One of the buyers who let me down was on Wodery.
                However I am currently awaiting Sid Lifts book about Judy Garland.I bought from a seller on Amazon on May 21.He claimed to have posted it.However looking at his feedback there are dozens of other people in the same situation.There is a scam going on where these sellers are claiming to sell books at lower than usual prices.Now a couple of books have come through.I believe that they get the money in then do a runner leaving Amazon to cover the cost.

Comment

I've found in the past that many sellers in Amazon Marketplace advertise a product without actually having it in stock. Once you order it, they try to 'order it in', but this can take ages. There are, however some very good, reliable sellers amongst the sharks. Always check the feedback before ordering.

Comment

I have to say that till the last month I haven't had a great deal of problems with Amazon sellers.

Comment

Working...
                    X