No announcement yet.

Beating The Devil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely item and fabulous that you got the great Peggy Cummins to sign it. I see she is obscuring the tell tale sign about a charge for autographs, so what was the charge, Ladykillers?

Originally posted by ladykillers View Post
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	106.8 KB ID:	61042 I was very lucky to have bought this book when it came out, later on I had Peggy Cummins sign it. It's a great book on one of my favourite films.

Comment

• ladykillers
      ladykillers commented
      Editing a comment
      £15 as far as I can remember, same as most other signers.

Could it have been a "tosharoon" (2/6d in old money). The "roon" would have been in keeping with the film !!

( Yes I know it's spelt differently)

Comment

2/6 used to be called half a dollar,as 5/- =1 dollar.Sadly those days are long gone.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
        2/6 used to be called half a dollar,as 5/- =1 dollar.Sadly those days are long gone.
        Half a dollar = a tosheroon
        in different slangs

Steve

Comment

I have never purchased or sold anything on Amazon does it makes me a human?
          But Yes I know almost every famous site on the internet I use spectrum internet all day and keep stumble internet pages and learn new things but don't purchase anything online, I like to visit shops.

Comment

I am sure that there are loads of people who would appreciate this advice but not here please.

Comment

I almost bought a copy several years ago. Can't now recall the price but money was a bit tight and it was a choice between this and "Inside The Wicker Man" which I plumped for in the end. You can pick up a used copy of that for about a tenner now on Amazon; even less on ebay.
              Wrong choice...story of my life!!

Comment

Well I decided not to buy The Dawn of Technicoor at £39.It is now £175!

Comment

Have you seen the price of Mr Earnshaw's Salem's lot book!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tobe-Hooper...=salem%27s+lot

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Sonny MacGregor View Post
                    My copy says published in 1995 by the National Museum of Photography, Film & Television in collaboration with Tomahawk Press. Sometimes it's worth taking a punt on some books on narrow subjects with fairly obscure publishers that look as if they'll have one edition and are unlikely to be remaindered.
                    Odd, my edition is published by the same two organisations but is dated 2005. The copywriter is also 2005, so no indication of an earlier edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Odd, my edition is published by the same two organisations but is dated 2005. The copywriter is also 2005, so no indication of an earlier edition.
                      I've checked several sources, including this fairly definitive one, all of which indicate that the book was indeed first published in 2005.

https://antonyearnshaw.wordpress.com...-of-the-demon/

However Tony does indicate, back in 2016, that he was working on a new edition
                      Last edited by narabdela; 29th August 2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paxton Milk View Post

Apologies, my error. It is 2005. I need to get to Specsavers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wee Sonny MacGregor View Post

Apologies, my error. It is 2005. I need to get to Specsavers.
                          No worries, I'm at that stage too!

Comment

Crikey, glad I bought this when it came out.. Same thing happens with Wayne Kinseys books on Hammer, they aren't the cheapest, but when they are sold out, they are crazy prices..

Oh, and the UK Blu ray for Night of the Demon is due out 22nd of October, and is a limited edition, so get your order in soon, sounds like some great extras on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X