Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

From Black face to Blacklist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Black face to Blacklist

Everything you ever wanted to know about The Jolsom Story and Jolson Songs A gain.I saw the first film 12 times .it is a book by Doug Mclelland
    Last edited by orpheum; 11th September 2018, 12:29 PM.

Orpheum, your phone is messing with your spelling.
    But I'm confused, is this a book? What is the title of the book?

Comment

Hi StoneAgeMan,
      What Orpheum was referring to is a book about the star of the movies "The Jolson Story" and "it's sequel, "Jolson Sings Again" ; two hugely popular biopic/ musicals about the life of legendary entertainer Al Jolson. I count them among my favorites. Jolson, of course, is very much out of favour these days style-wise and then with the added er complication of the blackface tradition is incompatible with today's political sensibilities.
      The book he has just read is called "Blackface to Blacklist : Al Jolson, Larry Parks and The Jolson Story" .
      If you have a mere £197.50 down the back of the sofa it's all yours, courtesy of Amazon.

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
      Orpheum, your phone is messing with your spelling.
      But I'm confused, is this a book? What is the title of the book?
      Buy Blackface to Blacklist: Al Jolson, Larry Parks and "The Jolson Story": Al Jolson, Larry Parks and "The Jolson Story" New Ed by Doug McClelland (ISBN: 9780810835306) from Amazon's Book Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.
      Last edited by Edward G; 11th September 2018, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks Edward G.

Comment

i was fortunate enough to buy it for £30,and it's joined my permanent collection.More about the films ,actors and technicians than the blacklist.Jolson has is and forever will be my all-time favourite.
          ps the price is £31.Highly recommended.
          Last edited by orpheum; 12th September 2018, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
            i was fortunate enough to buy it for £30,and it's joined my permanent collection.More about the films ,actors and technicians than the blacklist.Jolson has is and forever will be my all-time favourite.
            ps the price is £31.Highly recommended.
            £31 buys you a second hand "textbook binding" version, shipping from the USA from a low rating (87% is very low by Amazon standards) seller - beware!

Comment

Working...
            X