The Life and Films Of Carol Reed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Life and Films Of Carol Reed

Truly excellant book that i am in the middle of reading.I would like to quote this passage about James Mason in relation to Odd Man Out:
    Carol was aware of James Masons reputation for giving producers and directors a hard time.He was said to have punched director Leslie Arliss on the first day of shooting The Wicked Lady and had refused to star in Michaels Powells "I know where im going" because "he did not propose to play boy scouts for anyone" by sleeping on tents on location in Scotland.
    So he clearly knew where he was going!

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
    (James Mason) and had refused to star in Michaels Powells "I know where im going" because "he did not propose to play boy scouts for anyone" by sleeping on tents on location in Scotland.
    So he clearly knew where he was going!
    Shame that they all stayed in a luxurious hotel, not in tents. His real objection was more being on Mull in the Western Isles.

But he he had no objection to going to Dunk Island in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia for the filming of Age of Consent (1969)

Steve

Comment

Ah now in the next line the author says that the cast were accomodated in what Wendy Hiller described as "comfortable but not luxurious rooms in a rented house"
      Not a luxury hotel

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Crook View Post

Shame that they all stayed in a luxurious hotel, not in tents. His real objection was more being on Mull in the Western Isles.

But he he had no objection to going to Dunk Island in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia for the filming of Age of Consent (1969)

Steve
        I don't think anyone would object to going to Dunk Island, especially when it's "all expenses paid".
        Bring it on!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

I don't think anyone would object to going to Dunk Island, especially when it's "all expenses paid".
          Bring it on!
          Especially when it’s got a young Helen Mirren cavorting in the nude.

Steve

Comment

I do like a nice bit of "cavorting". Never seem to get enough of that these days.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post
              I do like a nice bit of "cavorting". Never seem to get enough of that these days.
              I take it you mean horizontal folk dancing.

Ooh, did I say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

Ooh, did I say that?
                I (Do-Si-) Do believe that you did!

Comment

Originally posted by orpheum View Post
                  .... James Mason... "I know where im going".....
                  Mason's presence would have made that a very different movie. Especially if he were tussling with a sprightly Deborah Kerr.

Last edited by jamal.nazreddin; 13th February 2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X