No announcement yet.

Lots of words about M-G-M's 1960s 'Midwich Cuckoos' films due out in May

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just heard that the complimentary copies posted directly from the States have started to arrive in the U.K.

Comment

I got my copy in the post today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	71302

Comment

Is it just me? Or does Anthony McKay bear more than a passing resemblance to Christopher Timothy.Click image for larger version

Name:	christophertimothy.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	71324

Comment

If anyone in New Zealand wants to buy a copy - send me a P.M. - if you ask nicely I can offer you a rare unsigned copy.

Comment

Mine arrived this morning

Comment

My apologies to all those that have not yet received their complementary copies - any that have been delayed should arrive on your doorsteps next week (before the 24th May).

Comment

People have been persevering with my long 'essay' - I'm grateful for he kind feedback here:

http://www.zetaminor.com/roobarb/sho...e-Damned/page7

Comment

To give you some idea of the contents.

Comment

I like how there's so many pictures!

Comment

Quite an embarrassing correction:

Page 67.

In the list of Morality Codes we published:
                      Morally Unobjectionable in part for Everyone
                      e.g. Bluebeard’s 10 Honeymoons

It should have read
                      Morally Objectionable in part for Everyone
                      e.g. Bluebeard’s 10 Honeymoons

I sincerely hope nobody has acted on this misleading information and watched 'Bluebeard’s 10 Honeymoons'

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony McKay View Post
                        I sincerely hope nobody has acted on this misleading information and watched 'Bluebeard’s 10 Honeymoons'
                        The teenager in me, that never went away, would be far more likely to watch something that appeared on a list as "objectionable" . If a list declared it to be "unobjectionable", I would likely avoid it like a 1970s Disney live-action family movie. :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeMan View Post

The teenager in me, that never went away, would be far more likely to watch something that appeared on a list as "objectionable" . If a list declared it to be "unobjectionable", I would likely avoid it like a 1970s Disney live-action family movie. :evil:
                          What you really want is:

Condemned
                          e.g. The Trials of Oscar Wilde

Comment

Tony

I'm making enquires to get a copy right now.

Comment

Well worth reading, excellent article!

Comment

Having obtained a copy of Little Shoppe of Horrors number 42 from Hemlock Books, I have had the opportunity to read through the absolutely excellent feature about the making of the horror/science fiction movie classic Village of the Damned. To sum it up in one sentence, this is now it should be done!

Tony has spent an enormous amount to time researching and talking to various people regarding the film and goes into great detail regarding every aspect of production. The feature includes lots of box outs and sections devoted to different subjects within the main framework of the story of how Village of the Damned came to be made into a chilling motion picture.

Included within the feature are the following…

Background on the author John Wyndham who wrote the original novel The Midwich Cuckoos

The original plans to make the movie at MGM’s Culver City Studios in Los Angeles and where exteriors were to have been shot on Lots 2 and 3.

Overview of director Wolf Rilla

Full cast list including uncredited performers and casting replacements

List of set designs

Summary of filming locations complete with photographs of filming taking place

Map of filming locations

Overviews of cast members George Sanders and Barbara Shelley

A section devoted to the various children who appeared in the movie

Day by day filming that outlines the date that scenes were shot in which soundstages at MGM Borehamwood Studios and out on location at Letchmore Heath, Aldenham, Roundbush, Elstree, etc etc

I get disappointed by so many publications, which in my opinion scrape by on recycling information and are produced quickly for a quick buck. Fortunately this in-depth examination of Village of the Damned has surprised me in so far as it offered so much previously unknown information and gives one of the most comprehensive accounts of how a sixties movie was written, assembled, produced and then promoted. Tony obviously has a great love for the subject matter and it certainly shows.

I recommend that you all get a copy of this as soon as possible.
                                Last edited by Mikey; 16th June 2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X