Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tigon Man
    replied
    I've read 'Life Amongst Strangers' and am currently writing a review of the book for the forum.

Leave a comment:

• wadsy
    replied
    The song by Robin Gibb could have been an outtake from has acclaimed "Robin's Reign" album from 1970!

Leave a comment:

• Nick Dando
    replied
    Some of the late Peter Wyngarde's belongings are to be auctioned.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...up-for-auction

Leave a comment:

• Paxton Milk
    replied
    Originally posted by Tigon Man View Post
    My copy of the Wyngarde biog arrived this evening. This must be some sort of record, as I believe it was only released today.
    It's a whopping 500 plus pages, looks as though it it self published.
    I’d be interested to see what you think of it

Leave a comment:

• Tigon Man
    replied
    My copy of the Wyngarde biog arrived this evening. This must be some sort of record, as I believe it was only released today.
    It's a whopping 500 plus pages, looks as though it it self published.

Leave a comment:

• Paxton Milk
    replied
    I quite liked the Price Bio.
    Although the author was obviously an unabashed fan, I thought she was upfront about his failings.
    Not sure, it had a number of things that bothered me. Her view is resolutely Price was brilliant in all his films, where the film flopped I t was always someone else’s fault. That is clearly not true, he was totally miscast as Byron, for example, but the author thinks he was superb. She also skirts over the films that don’t interest her, the last few years of his life, specifically. I get the films weren’t of the quality that came before, but it’s a biography not a filmography and he did some interesting work for interesting people. She also has the annoying habit of injecting herself and her views into the narrative, sometimes referring to herself in the third person, sometimes with ‘I think...’. Added to that she can’t help but tells us what Price was thinking at various points in his life, she wasn’t there, she doesn’t know.

The most obvious problem is around his sexuality. I happen to think it’s irrelevant to his career, but she makes a unconvincing argument for him being straight, based entirely on 1) he had relationships with several women; and 2) he didn’t make a pass at his flat mate, Patrick Mcnee, who was very good looking (she thinks). To support this argument she dismisses all those who say he was gay as holding a grudge against the actor (though she doesn’t specify why the should do that.) Given a number of people, including the likes of John Fraser, Robin Askwith, and Dirk Bogarde, have ‘outed’ Price in print or video it seems a particularly deluded perspective. She would have better off just presenting facts and saying either way, it’s not a big issue.

Incidentally, Tigon, I noticed she gets herself into a pickle on Amazon reviews responding to two critics of her book, one from someone claiming firsthand experience of Price’s sexuality where she identifies herself as the author under a pseudonym. Against the next comment she identifies herself as someone ‘representing’ the author. Again with the first party/third party confusion.

The book would have been much better with a decent proof reader/editor (so, for that matter, would her Amazon comments).

Leave a comment:

• Tigon Man
    replied
    I quite liked the Price Bio.
    Although the author was obviously an unabashed fan, I thought she was upfront about his failings.

Leave a comment:

• Paxton Milk
    replied
    Originally posted by Shirley Brahms View Post

It might be. She does seem rather like a besotted fan.
    It does come across a little like that. I read the recent Dennis Price bio, again self-published, and it was a real disappointment. Very well researched but totally lacking in perspective. I fear the burb indicates the same year.

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    I've ordered it from Amazon. Hope it's not too much of a hagiography.
    It might be. She does seem rather like a besotted fan.

Leave a comment:

• Tigon Man
    replied
    I've ordered it from Amazon. Hope it's not too much of a hagiography.

Leave a comment:

• googiefan
    replied
    I’ve ordered it from Apple Books as a download.

Leave a comment:

• Tigon Man
    replied
    Tina was Peter's partner?
    The book should be an interesting read then.

Leave a comment:

• Shirley Brahms
    replied
    "was once recognised as one of the most exciting stage performers on the planet"
    "one of Britain's greatest acting and style icons!"

I didn't know that.

Leave a comment:

• General Klytus
    replied
    PETER WYNGARDE: A LIFE AMONGST STRANGERS
    by Tina Wyngarde-Hopkins
    For the first time ever in print, the life story of one of Britain’s greatest acting and style icons!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1578580188.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	84646
    “Tina Wyngarde-Hopkins has written a most remarkable biography of Peter Wyngarde; he really couldn’t have had a more devoted biographer, whose book is full of fascinating stories and anecdotes from his life and career. She has delved, researched, discovered, analysed, and championed a great actor, who was once recognised as one of the most exciting stage performers on the planet.” Steven Berkoff

With contributions from Melody Anderson, Annette André , Steven Berkoff, Brian Blessed OBE, Carol Cleveland, Joel Fabiani, Caron Gardner, Hannah Gordon, Freddie Jones, Sam J. Jones, Martin Stephens, Tim V. plus many more…

Available in hardback, paperback and Kindle formats

Pre-order directly from the publisher by clicking HERE, or from Amazon - click HERE

It will also be available from all good bookshops from Friday, 28th February, 2020.

“Tina’s life story of Peter is a must-read from the one who knew him best!” Sam J. Jones
    For further information, including independent reviews etc., click HERE:

Leave a comment:

• agutterfan
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by Darling View Post
    Hmmm, I seem to have lost my previous post count, but I was here .
    Welcome back. When you were good you were very good, but when you were bad you were ... darling!

Working...
X