Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the www.Britmovie.co.uk forum

If this is your first time on the new forum since March 7th, 2017, please re-register with us once more.
Paypal contributions for the care and feeding of the forum may be made here:
PayPal Donations

The old bulletin board archive can be found here:
http://filmdope.com/forums/
See more
See less

Wolf Rilla's books

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf Rilla's books

Has anyone out there read any of Wolf Rilla's books on film making or his novel 'Cinema.'

I'm wanting to know if they reflect his work for MGM.

I'm sorry I haven't read any of Wolf Rilla's books. I don't even know how to pronounce his surname. 'Ree-lar'?

Comment

No but there are a number available on Amazon at a reasonable price.

Comment

I've ordered 'Movie' and 'The A to Z of Movie Making' - expect reviews.

Comment

A-Z of Movie Making - 1970

125 Pages

Quite a useful volume it is a guide to how movies were made 1960's - 1970's, how a film is put together and who does what and why.

It's designed for film students to let them know what they are getting themselves into.

Some very nice medium-quality illustrations.

Again - quite useful for decoding technical credits and making sense of those odd bits of production documentation one picks up here and there.

Movie - 1986

A 468 page pulp novel about a successful, but not over-ambitious British director trying to make it into the big league by winning the screen rights (for one year) to a massively successful flavour of the month novel at poker.

Rilla, in the forward, states that he has had his friends in the film industry check it for technical detail. Earl Saint John and David Begelman get mentioned in the first few chapters so it's certainly down my street. I don't known how this would have gone down with the average punter - but I'll press on to page 468.

Warning - contains the usual quota of explicit sex scenes as stipulated by Star paperbacks.

Comment

Tony

To quote a certain book... ‘The Murder Market’ was remounted with Rigg now in the role of Emma Peel, though it seems the original director Wolf Rilla declined to return – he subsequently went into semi-retirement and moved to France, where he ran a restaurant, directing only a further three projects over the next ten years.

Comment

NAME: WolfRilla.

DESCRIPTION: Director of "Village of the Damned."

LASTSEEN: Running a hotel in the South of France.

By DAVID STRATTON

Although it's been almost two decades since he helmed a film, writer-director Wolf Rilla doesn't mind a bit. Rilla, who made a splash in 1960 with the cult classic "Village of the Damned," is now happily ensconced in Fayence, France, where he runs a top-drawer hotel and restaurant, once the site of a 15th-century mill.

"The hassles aren't all that different," says the 73-year-old Rilla, who dropped out of the film biz in 1980 after several projects fizzled before getting off the ground. "I don't miss the film business at all. After 30 years, I decided I had had enough of the film industry—or it of me."

In 1986, after he turned out several novels, Rilla and his wife, Shirley, acquired the run-down Moulin de la Caman-doule and transformed it into a gourmet's delight, giving it a reputation as one of the hottest spots in the South of France. During May, the place welcomes refugees from Cannes seeking a little peace and quiet. "A few old chums come here after Cannes mainly to unwind," says Rilla, whose son is a fledgling producer. "It's a good unwinding place."

Rilla began his career directing for the BBC before he segued into feature films in 1953 with the B thriller "Noose for a Lady." Other potboilers followed before he got his first big break with the 1956 film "Pacific Destiny," when the original director dropped out. That led to more prestigious assignments, including "The Scamp," "Bachelor of Hearts" and perhaps his best known, "Village of the Damned," which starred George Sanders in a spooky tale about space aliens who take the form of children.

In 1968, Rilla accepted an invitation from the Mexican government's Olympic Committee to make "Pax," a large-scale epic that was to feature an all-Hispanic cast. The film was shot in three languages and recut by the sponsors without Rilla's permission. When the director threatened to take legal action, the film was shelved and never released. "It killed my career," says Rilla.

After returning to Britain, Rilla wrote a book, "A-Z of Making Movies," in 1970, and directed two more films, the last being "Bedtime With Rosie" in 1974. After spending three years trying unsuccessfully to set up films in Malaysia, he took to writing—he's penned nine novels.

And with talk of a remake of 'Village of the Damned," possibly to be directed by John Carpenter, Rilla could return to the film business. "I wrote to the production company offering my services as an adviser," Rilla says. "I have not received a reply."

Comment

Tony

Just on the strength of Village of the Damned, I'm fairly certain that Rilla could have transferred to filmed television if he had wanted to, after all quite a lot of directors did around that time.

Comment

It is probably his experience with TV and budget film production that got Rilla the gig with 'Village of thee Damned' - Larry Bachmann was given the task of producing 4 marketable budget movies at M-G-M British in 6 months. Scripts were pulled from the shelves, productions that were on-hold were suddenly rushed into production. Directors with a proven budget film and TV record were brought in to get these productions made in six weeks and on budget.
                  After 'Village of the Damned' everything stalled due to the screen writers strike in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                  X