Peter Wyngarde - A Life Amongst Strangers - A Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wadsy View Post

Didn't Roger Moore refer to Wyngarde's most famous character as "Jason Queen"?
    No, he didn't. It was, however, the title of an extremely misinformed article in a mid-1990's magazine.

Comment

In my humble opinion Wyngarde could have been a bigger star than he was, but perhaps he made some wrong career choices I dunno.
      For example he was tied to the Jason King TV series instead of getting out there into the film world to take on a wide range of parts to showcase his talents..

Comment

I agree that Peter's career did suffer somewhat as a result of him being typecast as Jason King. He was reasonably happy latterly as he was able to return to the stage, given that his first love had always been the theatre. It's comforting to know that there are people like yourself that are able to see beyond JK, and continue to appreciate his work.

Take Care.

Comment

I've finally put in an order for the book. I disagree that his career suffered from being typecast as JK. If it wasn't for that role I doubt anyone would still remember him today except for the author and 60s TV fans like myself, certainly not the general public. Also, it came pretty late in his career, broadcast in 1969, a good seven years after his last film (a Horror B-movie) and nine after Sydney Street, where he made such a splash, and from which you expect the offers would come. I hope the book will mention such things as film roles offered, and any refused (so please no spoilers General). The British film industry had changed by the 60s, and I suspect he was too old and not plebeian enough for 'kitchen sink' films, and after 1972 what British film industry! As far as I know he was not a name in the U.S. so what films could he have declined?

I would suggest his
          métier was probably theatre (for which I have to accept contemporary reviewers) and television. I'm old enough to remember D 'S' when it was first broadcast and his name always stuck with me, so when it appeared in a cast list I took notice. Thanks to the DVD revolution I've noticed that he appears in all my favourite shows, from The Avengers to The Prisoner, Doctor Who to the Granada Sherlock Holmes​​​​​​​, so in my opinion he showed great taste in what he did accept, and he always gave his roles memorable distinction, gravitas, style and panache (and a sly humour too), which only increased my anticipation and pleasure whenever his name appeared on a cast list. Who can forget his performance in "A Touch Of Brimstone" ("let's see how you play with the big boys")? And that pause in "Checkmate" before he karate chopped the board. I cannot recall seeing him give a bad performance.

As for social media & the internet, apart from this site I never use the former, and the latter I use as a resource (and warily too). I never use them to form an opinion, I make my own opinions & thoughts, and I'm broadminded, people have a right to a personal life and I'm not judgemental (except in the case of hypocrisy). I thank him for his many excellent performances, and the many hours of enjoyment he gave me, and I hope he was generally happy in his life, especially after his harrowing experiences of war. Oddly, I'm a huge fan of J G Ballard too but until the latter's autobiography didn't know of their connection. Strange coincidence. I'm looking forward to the book, and hope I learn many new & interesting things.

Comment

Agreed AF.
            Peter's career had been pretty stellar especially on stage, before DS or JK came along.
            But these two series made him widely known to the general public, that stage work and guest spots on ITC shows largely wouldn't have.
            Where Tina's book really excels, is the recollection of the hysteria that DS and particularly JK caused among the UK public.
            Where Peter was feted and mobbed wherever he went and having to employ a separate agency, just for his promotional work.
            Peter could have been expected to move on to bigger and better things after these series, perhaps in films. But as you say after about 1972, there was no British film industry. Had these series been made ten years earlier, he may have been able to move into film, like those other ITC favourites Roger Moore and Patrick McGoohan.
            Also it was perceived in some quarters, that he could be difficult to work with, which may have had an adverse influence on some casting directors.
            Last edited by Tigon Man; 1 July 2020, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• agutterfan
              agutterfan commented
              Editing a comment
              I remember the hysteria well, JK was huge. I think it was the huge success of "The Sweeney" that killed of those kind of series, sadly (I have a taste for both). Which also reminds me of Alfred Burke, who said he was grateful to "Public Eye" for making him a household name, but that for his career it came ten years too late.
              Last edited by agutterfan; 2 July 2020, 01:26 AM.

Originally posted by agutterfan View Post
            I'm a huge fan of J G Ballard too but until the latter's autobiography didn't know of their connection.
            There was a short feature about Ballard in the BBC4 documentary The Hidden Wilds of the Motorway this week. It starts about 30 minutes in:
            https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...f-the-motorway

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Davies View Post
              There was a short feature about Ballard in the BBC4 documentary The Hidden Wilds of the Motorway this week. It starts about 30 minutes in:
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...f-the-motorway
              Yes, narrated by Helen Macdonald, the author of "H Is For Hawk"

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X